ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 1/10/2007 - Waterchanging stressful?

Default 1/10/2007 - Waterchanging stressful?

So, things seem to be going well overall. I've just noticed something a little puzzling in the past few days so I thought I'd run it by you all to get your opinions.

In the past few days at water change time I've noticed some irritation displayed by the gang. Rapid breathing, some scratching against surfaces, fluttering of fins, and shaking of heads. I've noticed probably two out of three times lately.

The first time, after water change I treated with Chlor-Am X but it didn't seem to make a big difference. So, I chalked it up to the fact that my storage water was a few degrees lower than their tank water had been. Once the temp started coming back up they seemed to improve. Or, so I thought.....

Last night's water change went fine, no irritation displayed that I noticed.

Tonight it was back to irritation but at a lesser degree than before. The storage water was pretty much the same as the tank water had been so..now I think it wasn't the temp, or at least not just the temp. So, again I treated with the Chlor-Am X and they seem to have come out of it pretty much.

Nothing that I know of has changed about my water supply nor are any of my other tanks displaying any irritation.

Thoughts anyone?
    -Karen

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Default Re: 1/10/2007 - Waterchanging stressful?

Karen,
    how are your weather conditions,if you have had a lot of rain could be your water company has upped the levels of chemicals,Causing the irratation,water ageing is the best way to stop this as chlorine nuetralizers don't really get rid of it they just bind the molicules together.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Hi Karen,

Water storage barrels may need a good clean out? Sometimes the levels of dissolved CO2 are quite high and this can cause that reaction, an airstone or powerhead in the storage barrel helps here.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Well we certainly haven't had any rain lately, more like snow. So I don't think that would be an issue right now.

I have thought about the barrels needing a clean out. If only just because bacteria probably builds up in there from time to time, although you'd think putting chlorinated water in it at each fill would be enough to keep it down....

I do age the water 24 hours or so each time and run airstones in each barrel.

They seem fine this morning, ready to eat as always.
    -Karen

Banned

Karen call the water company and ask if they have changed anything at all. Companies add a lot of different things depending on the time of the year, spring being the worse time.

http://www.windom-mn.com/depts/utili...y%20report.pdf
    Last edited by Graham; 01-11-2008 at 01:42 PM.

I agree on the water additives. Here with melting snow they always up the chemicals also due to water main breaks this time of yr.
    Also would clean the water barrels, they get a bit slimy even with chlorinated water.

Hope things go well for you

Ardan

Thanks Graham, I actually have that report already and didn't notice anything real alarming, did you?

So, if they are increasing additives and such right now, what can I really do to mitigate any issues?

The water I'm using for these guys does come from my oldest set of barrels, so maybe a cleaning is in order.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    -Karen

I would use a dechlorinator even with aging, just to be safe, that is what they usually increase with water main breaks.

Does your ph change a lot with aging? Due to the city using a well.
    I would check that to make sure all CO2 is offgased and the ph is stable.

just a thought

Ardan

My pH doesn't change between out of tap and aging. It's stable between 8.0-8.2.

I will start using a dechlor regularly as well, see if that helps.
    -Karen

I think Paul gave ya a good start!

tc
    Mark
    Mark