ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: White inchworm?

Registered Member

Default White inchworm?

I may be posting to the wrong area, and if so I'm really sorry. But I just looked in at my fish, and saw a little white worm/maggot/inchworm heading up the side of the tank. I immediately got it out and I was wondering if anyone had ever experienced this before or does this sound like anything that I need to worry about? It's only about 1/2 inch long, chubby, white, but one end is a bit darker, possibly light brown and moved like an inchworm on the inside of the tank.

Just an fyi, I have two discus in a 55 gallon planted tank with 10 neon tetras along with an albino snail. Is this how the snail reproduces maybe? Is this some parasite? I have no idea!

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: White inchworm?

It is most likely not harmful, but something that lives in the gravel and feeds on detritus. COuld be a planaria or bristleworm?

Hard to tell from the explanation, a pic might help, but probably hard to photograph.

Keep the tank clean and clean the gravel. Keep up wc's.

hth
    Ardan

Registered Member

Alright, I took this photo last night. It's not the greatest because it looks kind of yellow when in reality it was whiter, and it's making itself much shorter and fatter because I was messing with it. Hopefully it will help someone help me identify it. I looked at the planaria and bristleworm on google images this morning and it didn't seem to be the same worm. My husband thinks it looks like a larvae, and it's definitely not a flat worm.

Any ideas out there? I just want to be certain that it's not something harmful to the fish!

Thanks,

Becky
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not planaria, not bristleworm
    ?? leech
    Ardan

Registered Member

looks like a large maggot of some kind...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by judy View Post
    looks like a large maggot of some kind...
    agreed. A less repulsive term could be "grub" Probably a fly larvae of some sort. I'd kill it and be done with it.

Registered Member

No worries there, that maggot is dead! It only lasted as long as it did so that I could get a photo.

I was thrown by the fact that it was under the water climbing up the glass like an inchworm! Oh well, I guess your tank can never be clean enough, right?

Thanks so much for all of the input!

Becky