AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 1/14 - Lil' Movie Stars

Default 1/14 - Lil' Movie Stars

With nearly a month down already things really couldn't be going any better. Everyone is eating great, pooping lots (heh), they all pretty much hang together in a bunch, no outsiders, some squabbling and sibling rivalry at feeding time.....and the ever present curiosity and desire to eat that leads them to sample the..."debris" on the bottom of the tank more than they'd like to admit.

I've stuck to my original "plan of attack" and am feeding between 6-8 times per day. 4 autofed portions of Ocean Nutrition Formula One pellets, and 3-4 feedings of either frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp or frozen mysis shrimp, all of which they eat readily. Most frozen feedings consist of 2 cubes with the exception of the frozen brine shrimp which on occasion gets 3 because they are a bit smaller.

Water changes are 90% daily with a siphon. I think I've missed 3 water changes total just due to being gone mostly. But they seem no worse for wear.

I started with just two sponge filters in the 40 breeder they are in, but I just added an AC50 last night with a sponge, filter floss, sponge configuration to try to clear the cloudy water I seem to have. I think it's helped.

I can't give you any info on water parameters and all that because honestly I have never tested them.

As for growth, seems like they were anywhere from 1.5" to 2" when they arrived, now they are 2" to 2.5". It's hard to see their growth when I see them everyday but if I go back and look at their first pictures I can see they've grown.

Like others have mentioned I see some red on the tips of their fins, I'm not seeing alot of the blue others have mentioned though, but...that doesn't mean it's not there.

So anyway, the update tonight is a video I took a little bit ago during their last feeding of FBW. For some reason something startled them for a bit but they still were eating, just not as voracious as sometimes. But...you get the idea.

Now...on with the show!

-Karen

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Default Re: 1/14 - Lil' Movie Stars

Karen,
    look's like the other challengers are going to have to watch out,they are looking great ! however you might need some medicine for your cough ! great video.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Looking great Karen!
    They are very lively fish. I am really enjoying watching the progress of everyones fish. And noticeing suttle differences in everyones methods.
    Good video clip...it's the best way of veiwing these fish .IMO.
    Hope you are enjoying the challenge as much as l am.
    Keep up the great job you are doing.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Great job Karen. They sure attack them worms! I have cloudiness too in my 40gal breeder. Not the challange tank. The challange tank is doing great as far as water q. Keep it up. Looks like i got some real comp here
    Eileen

Wow, Karen! Your guys/gals look soooo good. Nice and light in color. Keep it up!!!!

Thanks everyone. I'm real pleased with how they've come along so far. Always eager to eat it seems. How can you not enjoy the challenge when you have such nice contestants!

Eileen, I don't know, you're feeding b/h and I'm not so you might blow me out of the water with the size of yours at some point. But then, that's kind of why I'm in this, to see how big of an influence b/h has on size.

Darren, that wasn't me coughing, it was my roommate. She tried to walk away but obviously she didn't get far enough.

Thanks Jose, from what I've seen so far, everyone's are looking good. Should make for an interesting contest if we all stay as evenly matched as we have been.
    -Karen

Very nice Karen!! Love the videos.

Definately looks like the competition is heating up!

tc
    Mark
    Mark

Registered Member

Lookin good...I think the size on my lil guys are about the same as the rest of the challengers,like you said I can't tell much size difference,but I know that they have grown LOL..glad to see that your guys are doing so good..keep it up

Mench

They look fantastic!
    I really like them. And they aren't shy about eating in front of us either

thanks for the video

Ardan

Lil pack of pirrahnas you got there. Very nice.

Adrian
    Phillipians 4:4-7