AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: New fish room project.

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Default Re: New fish room project.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel19831123 View Post
    Hans, is there any chance of seeing how you connect your water storage system to the delivery of the fresh water to your sump? I've been trying to work out in my head how you connect those massive storage and I can't seemed to find a proper solution to linking them up to circulate the water. I'm afraid that my head will explode if I don't see the pic. :P

Hans, do you coat the rack with any paint before putting them together? If it's not paint, do you mind telling me what kind of wood is it and is the wood pressure treated? I've heard a lot of bad stuff about pressure treated wood and I'm not sure if I'm going to go for those. On the positive side it's long lasting but the down side is the health implication and also the cost compare to a normal pine timber.
    Daniel,

for the first part, I will try to make some pictures tomorrow, easier probably as trying to explain lol lol

For the second part, I used the untreated because I'm Dutch and cheap lol lol
    If one of the legs get bad, I make for a few $$ a new one and replace it lol lol I didn't paint anything.

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Registered Member

Is it just any wood that you can use for such construction or does it have to be of a certain kind? I was looking at a sawmill catalogue the other day and I was amazed by the option available. There is cedar, oak, meranti, pine, etc etc. Which one did you use for yours? Sorry I know the question sounded stupid, but I've never dealt with wood before so I don't know their properties and which is recommended to be use with high humidity.

Dan

You can paint them. I paint mine black or stain them.
    Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society
    Horticulture Awards Program Chair

I do things my way because they work for me sorry if you disagree.

Hey Hans,

Have you ever done a Cost-Benefit Analysis on moving your warehouse to some place tropical like Florida? $6,000 a year to just run your dehumidifiers is crazy expensive.

What was your oil heating bill for the month of December? I bet moving to a much warmer climate like Florida would pay for itself in a year. And with oil going up in price, heating costs are only going to get worse. Too bad that "global warming" was just a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by terps View Post
    Hey Hans,

Have you ever done a Cost-Benefit Analysis on moving your warehouse to some place tropical like Florida? $6,000 a year to just run your dehumidifiers is crazy expensive.

What was your oil heating bill for the month of December? I bet moving to a much warmer climate like Florida would pay for itself in a year. And with oil going up in price, heating costs are only going to get worse. Too bad that "global warming" was just a scam.

Until a hurricane hits...
    Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society
    Horticulture Awards Program Chair

I do things my way because they work for me sorry if you disagree.

Registered Member

Hans,

Just spent a few hours reading this post. Awsome job on your upgrade! A+ operation. I'm getting back into discus after a 20+yr absence. Tines have changed. Technology (internet) is making the learning curve easier. Thanks to you and those on these forums for all the information. Learned a few new tricks to help set up my fishroom. Thanks a lot!

Roybo

Registered Member

2nd time I have read this. awesome! any more pix maybe ?

Registered Member

Where to get these hinges for tank cover. any Online store??

Real Name
    Discus Hans

here you go: http://www.glasscages.com/ tell them I send you and they will take care of you,

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

When I was raising Angels I had 120 tanks. From 20 to 55 gallons in the basement of my home. The humidity it was terrible. How are you dealing with it? How is you wife dealing with it? Mine not so much. Also I was using meridian water changers and sponge filters. Angels aren't as touchy.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bwssr View Post
    When I was raising Angels I had 120 tanks. From 20 to 55 gallons in the basement of my home. The humidity it was terrible. How are you dealing with it? How is you wife dealing with it? Mine not so much. Also I was using meridian water changers and sponge filters. Angels aren't as touchy.
    He has humidifiers with the water line plumbed into his drain pipes if I remember correctly.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

I'll take one of these rooms please. Just pack one up for me and ship it to me. Filled with discus preferably. thanks

Registered Member

This aint no fish room more like a fish warehouse. lol
    Go big or go home right? Lol

Registered Member

Hi Hans
    What are the measurements of the holes you had drilled in your breeding tanks for the pipes to join up to the sump and where are they best positioned?

Would the pipe/overflow suck down fry or smaller fish?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast