AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: budget safe feeding plan

Registered Member

Default budget safe feeding plan

Basically I'm getting 5 discus, some tetras, and some cats. I am looking for a feeding plan for all of these. For instance like how often to feed them, and what to feed them. I also need it to be not incredibly expensive. So if this is possible plz tell me.

thanks for help

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: budget safe feeding plan

Pellets, freeze dried and flake food would be the cheapest to start with. Depending on size, 2-5 feedings a day. Some wont take to such foods and may require frozen foods or live foods which tend to get more expensive unless you grow your own live food.
    Beefheart is cheap to make.

Beefheart is real cheap to make. I can get a 50# case of beefheart for $13 from a butcher in a neighboring town. I made out 19 1-gallon ziploc bags with 1cup of BH mix rolled flat and still had about 8# left over. I've been on 1 bag for the Challenge juvies that I am growing out since the start of the contest.

Registered Member

ok the store I'm getting my discus from feed them dry foods for the most part they said

Registered Member

... can you explain on how to make beafhearts thanks

I have fed mine on fbw and tetracolor since March 07 and they are 8" plus. I started out feeding beefheart but they really didn't seem to like it so I fed them fbw and colorbits and they seem to grow fine! They are all 6 to 8" plus. So I don't know what is what but to me I believe it is in the breeding. They have been bred so much that they are getting smaller. Inbred and such. I know I use to breed lizards and had to use new blood or they would not grow and last long. I believe that this is also happening with the discus. I have raised many in the same tank and some would grow out nicely and some strains would not. Thats ok with me because some may be only be 4-5" and some would be 5-8" but they are really nice looking, color and all. So I am not breeding to sell, just growing to please and so far for the most its been nice. I keep the ones that please me and give the ones away that don't.

A Friend in discus
    John
    Last edited by Jhill; 01-23-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Brain fart
    You can't see where you're going
    If
    You don't know where you've been

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by marzlam791 View Post
    ... can you explain on how to make beafhearts thanks
    I followed Carol's recipe...

Buy beefheart from store, cut away any white, veins or fat (WINCO has it already cut into strips), run blocks of it through grinder 1X, put in ziplock bag and squish flat (.25 in thick). It took my discus a few times to realize what it was but after they found out, they loved it. No additives...simple. However, I may add a gelatin binder next time so it stays togther a little better when they tear at it. The good thing is I can experiement with it from here and see what they like with their beefheart.

Registered Member

wow simple . thanks for the details im going to try it