ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Rack set-up

Registered Member

Default Rack set-up

Just got a 6 ft. rack from Home Depot. Each shelf is rated for 2500 lbs.Probably will not use the particle board that came with it, wondering what thickness plywood would be best to use. Thanks for your help- Dave

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Default Re: Rack set-up

Dave,

Will the tanks be sitting on the Metal frames or the plywood? If on the wood then I think you will be limited with the amount of weight you can put on the rack...I would get the thickest plywood you can...I believe that would be 3/4"

Dave, I've had problems with 6' Gorilla racks before, had to reinforce them....use 3/4" plywood, stained with polyurethane to prevent moisture from weakening it....are there any crossbeams on your unit? if not, you may have to put some in, maybe not, if your unit really can take the weight......do a search for gorilla racks by korbi_doc & you will bring up the links about the problems I had....may help you decide what you need to do....also diablocanine made some changes that may help.....he also had a link to other racks.....just a thought that may help you avoid the problems I ran into... I still love these racks & will get another set for my fishroom.....let us know how you make out.....good luck,

Dottie
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Registered Member

Hey Dave,glad ya found the racks...I used two pcs. of plywood on my racks..one to fit in the bottom of the rack and the other one to level out the rack...feel free to either call me or stop over and shoot the stuff anytime....
    Again,glad you are moving ahead with your project.

Mench

Registered Member

Thanks for your advice

Registered Member

Mench -you don't happen to know the thickness of the plywood you used? Are both the top piece and the bottom piece the same size , or is the top one a little wider to span the shelf braces? Also, did you use any cross bracing under the plywood? Thanks for your time - Dave

Registered Member

Dave,I used 3/4in.on the bottom,it sits on the inside edge of the rack...then I used 5/8in cut wide enough to span the edges of the rack by at least 1 in on both the front and the back...if you think of the rack side view as a L shape...the 3/4 sits on the bottom leg of the L and the 5/8 sits on the top of the L and ovrhangs it by one inch....Hope this makes sence to ya.

Mench

Registered Member

Thats what I did, execpt used 3/4 for both layers. Top is a bit wider than the bottom, glued and screwed together. Going to put 1/2 inch styrofoam underneath tanks,got some of that Reflectix insulation to wrap sides and back of tanks with. Next you'll have to tell me about your air system ! Just got an Alita 40 pump, could use a few tips on a manifold system. Thanks for your help - any suggestions welcomed ! Did any of the LFS Itod about your plecos contact you? 2 sounded quite interested. Thanks again for your help ,- Dave

Registered Member

Sounds like you are doing ok...nope nothing from the LFS...If you want to stop over we can go over the air system..I also have the drill and tap for installing the air valves..we can also go over the ixe of air pump needed.I also have the 1/2 in insulation foam board under my tanks.

Mench