ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eheim 2217-37 Classic filter

Registered Member

Default Eheim 2217-37 Classic filter

Hi,

I had a hard time re-start my FLuval 404 last time I cleaned it. It made me thinking of get a new fiilter.

After some soul searching, I think I'm going for an Eheim 2217-37 Classic Canister Filter.

I do have some concerns about the size. Currently, I have one FLuval 304 and one 404 for my 125 g tank. When it comes to filter capacity, I would like to go over about 30% or more. I intend to replace the two FLuvals with one Eheim 2217.

The problem is, the 2217 is only rated for up to 159g max. If I take a 30% reduction, it should be around 111 g. A bit smaller than 125 I would like.

Do you think this should be OK or I should be looking at a bigger filter? If I need to go a bit bigger, what is the model should I get?

edit, Another question, should I go for Ehiem pro II or 2217? The later is about $100 cheaper but rated at the same capacity (159g max).
    Last edited by FishLover888; 01-21-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Default Re: Eheim 2217-37 Classic filter

The eheim 2217 is probably my favourite cannister filter. It's design is simplicity itslef and the water flow through it is also simple. The filter is very efficient. These are bullet proof filters and should last a lifetime - unless you drop them full of water

There is a bigger brother to the 2217, actually there are three bigger brothers, but the next size up is the 2250, this would do a tank of 250 gallons with ease, here is a link I googled http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~EH2250.html
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: Eheim 2217-37 Classic filter

Quote Originally Posted by FishLover888 View Post
    Hi,

I had a hard time re-start my FLuval 404 last time I cleaned it. It made me thinking of get a new fiilter.

After some soul searching, I think I'm going for an Eheim 2217-37 Classic Canister Filter.

I do have some concerns about the size. Currently, I have one FLuval 304 and one 404 for my 125 g tank. When it comes to filter capacity, I would like to go over about 30% or more. I intend to replace the two FLuvals with one Eheim 2217.

The problem is, the 2217 is only rated for up to 159g max. If I take a 30% reduction, it should be around 111 g. A bit smaller than 125 I would like.

Do you think this should be OK or I should be looking at a bigger filter? If I need to go a bit bigger, what is the model should I get?

edit, Another question, should I go for Ehiem pro II or 2217? The later is about $100 cheaper but rated at the same capacity (159g max).
    I would go with a wet dry trickle filter and two Aquaclear 1000s with 100 micron post filtration and blue bonded pre filter you tank will stay crystil clear I found that you dont get the right amount of flow from Eheims. I have a bunch of them all sizes I will give you a great deal on them!!!!!!!! Good Luck Mike

While pricing this filter I saw it on Foster & Smith website$127.99
    much cheaper than the Fluval 405 I was contemptlating buying
    Rob

I too really enjoy the 2217. In fact I own 2 of them. In my opinion one 2217 is good for a 75 gallon tank, maybe up to a 90 gallon tank, but no more. The eheim classics are great for biological filtration, but are not great for mechanical filtration.

I think that for a 125 gallon tank I would recommend the 2250 or the Fluval Fx5. I have an FX5 on my 120 gallon and it is very effective.

Kevin

Registered Member

Yes, bounch of them you can find on eBay new for about $110, plus $14 S&H,

I was also considering getting Pro II. It is about $100 more and I'm not sure what the $100 is buying for me since both have the same capacity, 160g max.

My question is, should I get two of these filters or just one is good enough for the 125 gal tank? Maybe I should get a 2250 which is rated for 250 gal max? Bit too much over kill on capacity I would say.

Blackwater, do you have new Ehiem filters and can you beat the price?

Edit,
    Kevin, I posted mine just before you did. I guess one is not big enough for me then. Hmmm, two is kind of priced me out ATM. No more Fluvals, I had enough trouble with the 404 and 304.
    Last edited by FishLover888; 01-21-2008 at 11:49 PM.

You know, I really don't like fluvals, but the FX5 has been an absolute treat.

Another cost effective solution would be a 2217 for just biological filtration and an AC 500 (I think they call them 110s) for water ciculation and mechanical filtration. Then you can add another 2217 on later. After losing about $500 in fish to a filter problem last year, I am now the biggest fan of the redundent department of redundency. (The filter that failed was a Filstar).

Kevin

Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: Eheim 2217-37 Classic filter

Quote Originally Posted by FishLover888 View Post
    Yes, bounch of them you can find on eBay new for about $110, plus $14 S&H,

I was also considering getting Pro II. It is about $100 more and I'm not sure what the $100 is buying for me since both have the same capacity, 160g max.

My question is, should I get two of these filters or just one is good enough for the 125 gal tank? Maybe I should get a 2250 which is rated for 250 gal max? Bit too much over kill on capacity I would say.

Blackwater, do you have new Ehiem filters and can you beat the price?

Edit,
    Kevin, I posted mine just before you did. I guess one is not big enough for me then. Hmmm, two is kind of priced me out ATM. No more Fluvals, I had enough trouble with the 404 and 304.
    The Ehiem canister filters I have I used for myself I maintain all my filters on a regular basis they are like new and all work perfect and have all the sizes from 2213 to 2217 all valves and a bunch of acc.s Send me an e-mail tell me what you want and I will do my best on the prices. Good Luck Mike

Registered Member

Correct me if I am wrong here experts, but I thought the most important thing when considering filtration was not that it was "rated" for XXX gallons, but more about the turn over rate. If you have a tank that is 125 gallons, you would want a filter or filters capable of turning the total volume of the tank over 4-5 times an hour. Thus, needing an output volume of around 500-625 GPH. Now I could definitely be mistaken here, but I have read this in numerous places and have tried to keep the filtration on my tanks somewhere around this rule.

Also, generally speaking, when they say that it will support a max of XXX GPH, that usually does not take into account the extra media that you might add. Adding different media outside of what comes with the filter will effect the throughput of that particular filter.

Anyway, I appologize if this is misleading information, but from what I have read and my experience, this is the way I have been doing things, for what it's worth.

My 180 has one XP3 and a Magnum 350, plus two sponge filters. Probably over kill, but seems very efficient and my water stays crystal clear.

Take care,
    Kevin

Registered Member

I'm no expert. I could be wrong here.

I think turn over rate is just one aspect of the filter. For HOT type filters, because the size of media is small and there is no bypass factor, the turn over rate is the deciding factor. For cannister filters, the more important factor is the size of the media the cannister can hold.

Some cannisters have faster turn over rate and some have slower rate. True, you do want to turn over the tank valume few times per hour but faster does not mean better in some cases. Somethimes the bypass factor is important too. If you have water bypass the media area, it really dose not help however many times you can turn over water per hour.

I think you need to consider all three factors for cannister filters, the 'rated' size, turn over rate and bypass factor in order to get a true picture of the cannister filter.

Real Name
    Jim

I own several Eheim 2217's and the only other filter I'd consider is the 2260, but that one takes 18 liters of media which would cost a fortune Bigalsonline.com has the 2217's for 119.00 WITH media

Personally, I like the classic series better than the Pro series because you can mount the head in numerous ways to accomodate tank layouts.. with the intake pointing one way while the output points another. With the pro series both hoses point in the same direction only. Although, the media baskets in the pro series are a LOT easier for cleaning

With a 125 I'd go with 2 of the 2217's. Should give you enough bio capacity and a little more versatility. IF I could afford it, I'd consider the Pro III with the 2 intake hoses

Add a Magnum with a micron filter for mechanical and you're set to go

Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member

I was hoping to be able to do it with just one 2217. Spending about $140 (including S&H) is one thing, double that amount, I will have to think about it.

Since my 304 is working fine, maybe I can replace the 404 with one 2217. When the 304 goes bad, I can replace it with another 2217.

For about $190, I can get a Fluval FX5 that will be good for the whole tank. My problem is that I'm not sure I want to go with Fluval since I had really bad experience with the 404. I don't want to be in the same position 5 years down the road. My 404 was fine for the first year or two. Then I had to replace the o-ring, then the impeller, then the impeller housing cover... you get the picture.

Another option is one 2250, which is about $260 to $300 I think, almost the same as two 2217.

No matter what I do, go with FX5 means $190, go with Ehiem means close to $300.

Don't group the FX5 with the lower end Fluvals - it really is different. Go take one out of the box and you will see.

2 downsides to the FX5 are - it is about 2-3 times louder than my loudest ehiem (which are so quiet they run in my bedroom). Secondly the FX5 is very powerful - you will have to orient the outputs so that they minimize current for discus.

Why don't you look into the Marineland 360. I read some very good reviews about them and they are not that expensive.
    Kin

Registered Member

How are the seal on the eheim's? I have had issues with the o-rings on the fluvals.

I was looking for a system the would provide me with more security against leakage, if possible.

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast