Dennis Discus     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: another measurement

  1. #1
    Registered Member alxjss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kentwood, MI
    Posts
    1,277
    iTrader
    3 (100%)

    Default another measurement

    OK, here is another pic. Not sure if its the same fish but he is about 3 11/16ths. I think i tramatized him tho. He was flippin and floppn and when i put him back in the tank, he wasn't real good. He is a little better now, but i am worried. What is the best and easiest way to do this w/o harming these little guys?
    Eileen

  2. #2
    Moderator Team LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    9,275
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    Hauling them out of the tank and into the air with a net is not their favorite thing no matter how you do it.
    Mama Bear

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,198
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: another measurement

    Get a small square plastic container, just deep enough to hold the fish vertically and mark the measurements off in it with a felt maker.

    Then when you want to measure the fish just hold him with you hand against the side of the contrainer, with it's mouth/nose against the end wall .

    This is the least amount of stress and no cuticle is being removed with the net.

    In every koi show all the fish are benched, meaning that they are ID'ed and measured. This is how we do it. Last Fall I benched Koi America in Baltimore and measured close to 200 fish ranging from 5'' to 30''....lousy way to have a shower

  4. #4
    Registered Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,658
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    Wow Eileen! your doing great! just awesome

  5. #5
    Registered Member renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    220
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: another measurement

    They're growing fast Eilleen, it must feel very rewarding to measure them and realise they have grown that much,keep up the good work.

  6. #6
    Registered Member alxjss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kentwood, MI
    Posts
    1,277
    iTrader
    3 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    Thanks everyone. Like i said, i have 3 about the same size, maybe a tad bit bigger. For everyone else that wants to measure their fish. Be careful. My poor guy was terrified. I will do it diff. next time
    Eileen

  7. #7
    Registered Member alxjss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kentwood, MI
    Posts
    1,277
    iTrader
    3 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    Well, my little guy seems to be ok. It took a little while. He is still alittle skittish tho. I will def do it different next time.
    Eileen

  8. #8
    Registered Member GrillMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Groton, CT
    Posts
    2,284
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    Looks like I am gonna have to step up the feeding regime on my part!! Mine are 2 weeks older and not much bigger...

    tc
    Mark
    Mark

  9. #9
    Registered Member phidelt85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Choctaw, OK
    Posts
    1,358
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    Quote Originally Posted by bastalker View Post
    Looks like I am gonna have to step up the feeding regime on my part!! Mine are 2 weeks older and not much bigger...

    tc
    Mark
    Join the club, Mark!
    ________________
    Jose

  10. #10
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,808
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    No disrespect intended at all, but why would you need to know so precisely how long your discus is that it needs to come out of the tank to be measured? Way too stressful. You can always tape a ruler or a CD to the tank wall, eventually they will swim near it, you can get a pretty accurate measurement in that fashion.
    Best regards
    Harriett

  11. #11
    Registered Member AADiscus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Coweta, OK
    Posts
    2,496
    iTrader
    4 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    Looks like your doing a great job. Another way you can try is when you net your fish, keep the net in the water but up enough so that you can grab the fish with your hand. Once out of the tank you can place them on something to measure them, then hand put them back in the tank with your hand.

  12. #12
    Administrator brewmaster15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Northford,CT,USA
    Posts
    22,985
    Blog Entries
    5
    iTrader
    221 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    Looks like they are growing awesome Eileen...... It may not be the most precise way to measure a fish but if you take a pic of the fish next to any object thats a known size you can get a fair approximate...I look at the hydro sponges as a guide... you also can just tape a ruler to the outside of the tank..

    When you net them to measure them..you can rub off slime coat and damage fins...these will heal quickly..but I net only when I have to..... hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!


    >>>>>We really could use your support. Please DONATE HERE Thanks!


    Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

  13. #13
    Registered Member alxjss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kentwood, MI
    Posts
    1,277
    iTrader
    3 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    No disrespect intended at all, but why would you need to know so precisely how long your discus is that it needs to come out of the tank to be measured? Way too stressful. You can always tape a ruler or a CD to the tank wall, eventually they will swim near it, you can get a pretty accurate measurement in that fashion.
    Best regards
    Harriett
    Harriett, no disrespect taken. I am doing just what other r. I figured it will be when it comes to judgement time. Ur right, it is way too stressful for the little guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by AADiscus View Post
    Looks like your doing a great job. Another way you can try is when you net your fish, keep the net in the water but up enough so that you can grab the fish with your hand. Once out of the tank you can place them on something to measure them, then hand put them back in the tank with your hand.
    Thanks Angela. I never took any fish out of the tank before. I no these guys have those hard fins and i am a big baby. If i get pricked, i am afraid i will drop him/her and then have to try again. These guys get spooked real easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Looks like they are growing awesome Eileen...... It may not be the most precise way to measure a fish but if you take a pic of the fish next to any object thats a known size you can get a fair approximate...I look at the hydro sponges as a guide... you also can just tape a ruler to the outside of the tank..

    When you net them to measure them..you can rub off slime coat and damage fins...these will heal quickly..but I net only when I have to..... hth,
    al
    Hi Al. I was thinking of taping a sewing measure to the tank. I have one. Also, what is required for this comp?
    Eileen

  14. #14
    Administrator brewmaster15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Northford,CT,USA
    Posts
    22,985
    Blog Entries
    5
    iTrader
    221 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    Also, what is required for this comp?
    Healthy, beautiful discus... At this point... I would not worry about how the fish will be judged.... just focus on raising the best discus you can....by the looks of it..I'd say keep doing what you are doing.

    -al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!


    >>>>>We really could use your support. Please DONATE HERE Thanks!


    Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

  15. #15
    Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, Cali ~
    Posts
    10,352
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: another measurement

    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I'd say keep doing what you are doing.

    -al

    Except don't net them to measure! They are looking great, though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

pic of month             AquaticSuppliers.com