ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: HI I am new to discus

Registered Member

Default HI I am new to discus

Hey everyone for the past 5 years of my aqurium keeping life I have always kept african cichlids and loved them. I currently have a 125 gallon Lake Malawi Hap/Peacock tank. I have bred them sold them and of course bought them. However I want a bit more of a challenge. I understand discus are that challenge. Well I have the lighting(a 96 watt coralife pc fixture) I have the filtration( magnum 350 canister filter pro) and I have the heater. My question to all of you is what tank size should I have for six discus in a planted aquarium. I was told 50 gallons but I think 65 would be a better bet. And since both tanks are 36" in length my light will be fine. Also will the extra height (2 feet) on the 65 gallon be appreciated by my discus or will they just stay near the bottom in that case I would buy the 50 gallon for cost. One more question I have is will my light support these plants in the 65 gallon tank? What about in the 50?
    Dwarf Lily Bulbs
    Anubias Nana
    MicroSword Grass
    water Onions
    Large Ozelot Sword
    Didplis Diandra
    Rotala Indica
    Java Ferns
    Tall Subulata
    Jungle Vals
    Corkscrew Vals
    I will have C02

P.S I am not looking for a ridiculous amount of growth. Just a little reproduction and growth of the plants will be fine. As long as they don't die. Sorry but one more quick question. Can I keep shrimp with discus? If so what kinds. If not what other types of algae eaters would work? Also if I cant keep six discus in a 65 gallon tank how would I make a pair? Also at what size do these fish pair off and how fast do they grow under the right conditions? Thanks for your he

Registered Member

Default Re: HI I am new to discus

Kinda sounds like you would like to breed them?

If so then plant your 65 gallon and get a pair of Discus, Breeders will sell them and they would be cheaper than 6 Discus.

IMO

Registered Member

a apir would be cheaper I was told otherwise if thats true thanks. Also do you know how shrimp will do with my discus if I get some?
    Last edited by Sammag; 01-23-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Real Name
    Walter

Dwarf Lily Bulbs
    Anubias Nana
    MicroSword Grass
    water Onions
    Large Ozelot Sword
    Didplis Diandra
    Rotala Indica
    Java Ferns
    Tall Subulata
    Jungle Vals
    Corkscrew Vals
    I will have C02
    Those plants should work with the amount of lighting you have.

I'd recommend the 65 gallon - keep in mind when you add gravel and plants, the available volume of water is less for the discus. Prices on the fish will vary, depending on which size and strain you get; its harder to grow out discus to their full/ maximum size in a planted tank. You could get a pair (maybe not a proven pair - that always adds to the price) of discus for maybe the same price as a group of 6 individual fish. Check out the sponsors section and you'll find some photos of some strains plus their prices.

As for shrimp, I've had decent luck with the Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata - formerly known as Caridina japonica) IF ample hiding space is provided. Unfortunately, if they don't like the conditions of the water, even with a good hiding space, they will either die or crawl out.

As for algae eaters, I like the albino bristlenose Ancistrus - you can get prettier algae eating catfish, but these are not as shy nor fragile as the fancier varieties. I also like the Siamese algae eater; make sure you get a 'real' Siamese algae eater, not the Chinese algae eater nor the false ones. Here are a couple pics of the real one.

Here's an article about them:
    http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html

Hope that helps,

Walter
    Walter