AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What brand of sponge filter do you use?

Registered Member Diamond Discus's Avatar

Default What brand of sponge filter do you use?

I've been looking into adding some more sponges and wondered which are the best? I've used hydro sponges before, and some that I had made for me by a guy in Seattle which I like because the big round clear base keeps the sponge from touching any tank wall so fry don't get trapped between the sponge and the wall.

Which brand do you use and why do you like it??

Thanks,
    Sue
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diamond Discus; 01-25-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    Sue

Default Re: What brand of sponge filter do you use?

Sue, Your sponge filters look great. Whatever works.. I use hydros because that is what is available to me.. I also have the sponges that sit directly on the floor of the tank. Actually I like them because they are very low.. Jehmco carries hydro like sponges that are very good but alot of people make their own..

Hey, by the way. I have relatives in Ankeny, Boone and Ogden Iowa.. I have been out there so many times I feel like I live out there :9)

Quote Originally Posted by dpt8 View Post
    Hey, by the way. I have relatives in Ankeny, Boone and Ogden Iowa.. I have been out there so many times I feel like I live out there :9)
    It's a small world. LOL I know 2 of our local Iowa Fish Club members who live in Ankeny. In fact I bought my Pseudotropheus Saulosi group from one and my Orange Scorpion Discus pair plus a Golden Ghost angel pair from the other guy.
    Sue

I used to use the hydro sponges but thought too much debris got built up under/around the base. So now I use sponges from Ultimate Sponge and some from Angels Plus. They are the same concept, a square sponge on a porcelain tile to keep it weighted down. I've been more pleased with the ultimate sponge ones because they are a finer sponge material so do better at getting the finer debris out of the water. However, I like the Angels Plus ones for smaller tanks because they have a shorter tube on them. I think you can get ones from Angels Plus with the finer sponge as well. I wish I had gotten them instead.
    -Karen

Quote Originally Posted by KJoFan View Post
    I used to use the hydro sponges but thought too much debris got built up under/around the base. So now I use sponges from Ultimate Sponge and some from Angels Plus. They are the same concept, a square sponge on a porcelain tile to keep it weighted down. I've been more pleased with the ultimate sponge ones because they are a finer sponge material so do better at getting the finer debris out of the water. However, I like the Angels Plus ones for smaller tanks because they have a shorter tube on them. I think you can get ones from Angels Plus with the finer sponge as well. I wish I had gotten them instead.
    I used to have 4 from Angels Plus and I liked them OK, but the slate bottom scratched the tank floor sometimes and mine came loose from the slate after squeezing them for a year or so. I just looked at them this morning before I posted this thread. They do have fine and coarse, and they even have some you can buy that are already seeded. I'll have to check out the Ultimate Sponges. Thanks
    Sue

Have you seen these? http://www.angelfish.net/yabbse/inde...threadid=14719

I just bought some and they came today so I haven't tried them yet. I like the idea that they will pull the finer stuff out of the water with the filter floss and that when you take them out to squeeze they won't leave a bunch of debris behind in the tank because of the hard enclosed case. At least...that's the idea.

I couldn't get in touch with anyone from Ultimate Sponges when I was looking for more, from their website. But I know you can buy some on AquaBid.
    -Karen

Quote Originally Posted by KJoFan View Post
    Have you seen these? http://www.angelfish.net/yabbse/inde...threadid=14719

I just bought some and they came today so I haven't tried them yet. I like the idea that they will pull the finer stuff out of the water with the filter floss and that when you take them out to squeeze they won't leave a bunch of debris behind in the tank because of the hard enclosed case. At least...that's the idea.

I couldn't get in touch with anyone from Ultimate Sponges when I was looking for more, from their website. But I know you can buy some on AquaBid.
    Interesting...let me know how you like them!
    Sue

does a prefilter sponge basically do the same thing as the spong filter?
    <3 kat

Real Name
    Mike

A prefilter is mainly used as a mechanical filter that catches debris before it enters your main filter (canister for instance or HOB). Sponge filter is used as a bio filter in the tank with air hooked up to it.