ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: humidity in the air

Default humidity in the air

Ok all. I am having HUGE humidity problems here in my home. What I fugure is one 75 gal @84-85 degrees, one 40gal @ 86-86.5, and one 55 gal. @ the same temp as the 40gal. The humidity level is outrageous here in the house. When i get my 150 gal., would a canopy help this humidity or not? I didn't want a canopy, but if it helps I will have one. Any opinions here?
    Eileen

Default Re: humidity in the air

A canopy would probably help some, it will completely enclose the top of the tank I imagine, right?

I have had some issues lately myself with humidity. I run a dehumidifier in the fish room which keeps things under control there, but since my fish room is also where my furnace is, I think some of the humidity just gets transported throughout my house. I ended up adding another smaller dehumidifier on the main level which has helped considerably.

I would think for you, if you're keeping all your tanks in one room or at least in the same general area, running a small or mid sized dehumidifier would take care of things for you. Just don't set it too low or it will just start sucking water out of your tanks. I have mine set to 40% I think in the fish room.

hth
    -Karen

Quote Originally Posted by KJoFan View Post
    A canopy would probably help some, it will completely enclose the top of the tank I imagine, right?

I have had some issues lately myself with humidity. I run a dehumidifier in the fish room which keeps things under control there, but since my fish room is also where my furnace is, I think some of the humidity just gets transported throughout my house. I ended up adding another smaller dehumidifier on the main level which has helped considerably.

I would think for you, if you're keeping all your tanks in one room or at least in the same general area, running a small or mid sized dehumidifier would take care of things for you. Just don't set it too low or it will just start sucking water out of your tanks. I have mine set to 40% I think in the fish room.

hth
    hi karen. I was wondering how all u people do it with all those tanks. I just got some new windows and they r condinsating and i don't no if there is too much humidity or its the windows. Of course, the window co says TOO much humidity. What kind of dehumidifier do u have? Yes, the canopy would be fully enclosed.
    Eileen

Banned

Close the tops of that tanks with glass or canopy's and use a de-humidifier.

As a kid I just about destroyed my parents basement with all the tanks....In our current home I've had to replace the sheetrock and the metal door in the back room of the house....rot and rust

In the koi house there's a large de-humidifier that runs 24/7 to keep it only half like a sauna in there.

G

I would think if you have new windows then they aren't the problem. The dehumidifier in my fish room is a GE 60 pint I believe. The one upstairs is Continental Electric (something I got at Menards) and it's a 30 pint. They use a fair amount of electricity but it's worth it to keep the moisture and all that goes with it down.

I haven't had any issues in my fish room by using it. I keep that portion closed off mostly and I haven't had sweating walls or anything. I do keep my tanks pretty well covered too.

If I ever move and have a larger space for a fish room I'd probably consider an air exchanger or something, but this works well for now. Plus it adds heat to the fish room which is always a good thing with our cold temps!

I have no idea how big of a house you have but I really think using a dehumidifier would probably take care of your issues since you only have a few tanks.
    -Karen