AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: tempered glass

Default tempered glass

Hello, my wife was out and about the other day and she bought me 55 gal tank.As she got it home, I took a look at it . There is a sticker on the bottom stating that all panels are tempered glass. I called around trying to find one that was not all tempered ,so I can drill the back for an overflow. Could not find one.Is there something about a 55 gal tank that they only make it in all tempered glass?

Banned

Default Re: tempered glass

hi, Call the manufacturer...normally only the bottom is tempered.

Graham

Registered Member

Hi,

I had a 55G tempered glass before. And all the sides are tempered. I think the thickness is like 6mm. for all the pieces. They have to use tempered glass for 55G. It makes them lighter and more economical to make. To make a 55G with non tempered, it would weight alot more and cost alot more to transport. And at the dirty cheap prices tanks are these days. Tempered they are. I haven't seen any non-tempered ones yet unless they are the older 55G tanks.

In short, you can not drill them. Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks for the replies. I have some very good LFS around me. They all said the same thing. I could not pass up this deal. Brand new tank and 2 tank covers with lights for $100.00. This was a sale price. I was planning on drilling all my tanks for a water change system , with the bulkheads down low like Kenny(kennys discus) has on his tanks.My other 14 tanks can be drilled, but I do not want to go through all the hassle of doing this and still have one tank being left out.Just a little peeve of mine.I am just a little undecided on what to with this tank now.May have to rethink the tank size, so I can drill it. Again I thank you for expertise.

This link may help. I too recently purchased a 55 gal, to find out it cannot be drilled.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ndrilled+drain
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

That sucks, I havent seen to many tanks all-tempered, what make is it?

Might not be what you want to do, but there is plenty of good overflow/siphon designs out there as an option.

Perfecto, for some weird reason most if not all LFS in my area stock these. All Glass Aquariums are not that common, but small sizes only.

At least you found the stamp on yours. I found out the hard way that 55s were tempered. I started to drill on it and "bayoooom" thousands of pieces of glass everywhere. I replaced it with a new untempered sheet; well, here's the end result of that undertaking:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=62144