ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 02-04-08 Catastrophe!

Default 02-04-08 Catastrophe!

Today did not start off so well for me. I came down with a bug this weekend that had me pretty screwed up. When I woke up this morning to go to work, I felt like a dump truck had run over my chest. I went to work anyway against my better judgement. I turned out to be pretty useless and actually left early to go to the doctor's office.

A bit of a backstory. This weekend I managed to scrape up enough energy to setup a 55 gal tank that I had resealed recently. I wanted to move the Alenquers over to a larger tank than their current 40 Breeder. I got it plumbed up Saturday to the central fill and drain headers, and on Sunday before the Super Bowl, I flushed, cleaned and rinsed the tank and move the fish over. They looked happier than pigs in (well you know) in their bigger home. All was good except my crappy health.

Well, as I stated I left work early today to go to an after hours clinic. I got there at 5 and didn't leave till almost 8:30pm. Yes, it really sucked. Come to find out I have Bronchitis.....wooohooooo! NOT. While I'm at the doctor's office, I get a call from my lovely wife, Jenny.

Jenny tells me, "Sweetie, I have some bad news. Everything's OK but it's kinda bad."

I'm thinkin' "what the hell happened?"

"The tank with the babies in it cracked in half"

Me: "What do you mean it cracked in half?"

Jenny: "It split down the middle and all the water came out except just a little bit where the fish are. They're all swimming around on their sides. What do you want me to do?"

Luckily I had converted their old 40Breeder into their new holding tank with airstone and heater. So I proceeded to have here make sure the water they were in was not cold which it wasn't, and then take the net and scoop them out and place them back in their old tank. She said she had no problems and by the time I got home an hour later, the babies were no worse for wear with the exception of Lil Half Dead who ended up splitting his dorsal fin a bit. All in all they look fine.

But this is what I came home to:

Notice how much water was left for the fish and it was full of crap and flake food from the autofeeder which had just been pumping food into an empty tank with stressed out fish like nothing was wrong.

The little guys don't look too bad. You can see Lil HD's split fin. He's on the far left in the first photo and up front in the second.

Last edited by phidelt85; 02-05-2008 at 01:43 AM.

Default Re: 02-04-08 Catastrophe!

Oh my gosh!!! that is a catastrophe and dont these things just have sods timing? wow you are very super lucky that it left enough for the fish,and your wife sounded so calm .
    one of my tanks has a wee bit of a bow in the front and i have nightmares about something like that happening ,maybe its time to put that brace in.....
    Oh and i hope you feel better soon

Thanks, majik. I hope I get to feeling better too. I can't taste a thing right now; it really sucks.

Yea, I was pretty surprised as to how calm she was. I think she knew I was gonna go into crisis mode and she prepped herself for the barage of questions and things I needed her to do. She is so awesome!!! Love her to death

I would definitely get that brace on there before something does happen. I think mine was caused by the strain from the drain pipe. I should have connected it to the main header with a piece of 1" tubing to give it some flex since this tank ties in closest to the sink drain and has a lot less play, or it could have just been too weak to hold the water pressure. dunno
    Last edited by phidelt85; 02-05-2008 at 02:12 AM.

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

I think the catastrophe was avoided ! so what's Jenny getting for saving their lives ! looks like a big valentine's day coming her way !!

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Hats of to the Mrs. I am glad that the fish are OK but sorry about the loss of that tank. I have never seen that happen before....

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Jose! Unbelievable. in one way you are very lucky, that all turned out well, and that Jenny was there for you. I'm sure 'half dead' will be back to 100% in no time. He has been through worse.
    Just concentrate on getting yourself well so you can get back into it.
    Oh Yeh....maybe you can take Jenny out for a special dinner, or buy her flowers.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

She is definitely getting something. Although she already deserves the world for her patience with me and this "hobby"

Damn Jose...ya better squeeze yer woman extra tight tonight!! A woman that stands behind yer hobby like that is a woman that deserves squeezin an hugs!

Hope it all comes together for ya bud!!

tc
    Mark
    Mark

Jose, i am soooo glad things turned out good for u. I must say, don't take any more chances. Ur luck is running thin my friend Jenny sounds real supportive and a good person. It sounds to me like she nos u pretty well. Great Job Jenny. Something special is in the making, i am sure. Hope u feel better. Maybe thats why this happened. When ur sick, just rest. Don't do anything w/the fish except feed. Take care of # 1 first and everything else will follow. Wow, ur lucky!!!!!
    Eileen

OH Jose !
    I'm so sorry to hear that news, doesn't it seem like "when it rains, it pours ?" But it could of been so much worse, what a champion of a wife you've got ! With out a doubt, and thank goodness she was there to rescue the little guys.
    I hope you feel better soon, it's bad enough just to be sick, and then have a tank split on top of it, glad you still had the other one up to pop em' back into.
    Get some rest..............
    B

Registered Member Diamond Discus's Avatar

Oh my gosh, that's like a bad nightmare come true! I'm so glad everything turned out OK!!
    Sue

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Jose, that's a close call but glad to see them swimming happily again in their new tanks now...I had the exact same thing happened to me before; my 29g breeding tank broke(just like yours did) and I only had about 2 inches of water covering my 6-7" adult pair. My tank was placed high up on top of the shelf so I didn't even notice the crack until I heard some flip-flopping noise! Imagine that...

Kenny
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

Good thing you were able to save those babies. Maybe it's a blessing in disquise. Now you can go shopping for a bigger tank.
    Respectfully,
    John
    www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com

Wow! That was bad...you Okies sure do know how to do it up right when it goes wrong!!

Glad everything turned out okay.
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

Registered Member

I'm glad your fish are ok, and I hope you're feeling better soon.

Jenny sounds a lot calmer than I would have in that situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast