AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 02-04-08 Catastrophe!

Default Re: 02-04-08 Catastrophe!

Jose,
    Man....That was close....glad they made it okay...btw..they look great...

What is that saying? what doesn't kill you makes you stronger? Dang, those are some strong genetics in those alenquers....

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I'm glad everything turned out ok. Tell Jenny I said good job and a thumbs up to her. Have you checked your heater to make sure it still works ok. Looks like in the picture it was sticking out of the water some. The babies do look real good. BTW

I'm glad all the fish are okay and your wife was at home to notice there was a problem...you are so lucky...your babies are looking great BTW.

Jose,
    Glad they are ok! Close call!

Ardan

Could have been worse Jose, at least the fish are fine and as my wife has said to me before, it's only water!!

looks like a shear in that tank, maybe the stand wasn't square or stable...could have been a fault too I guess.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

dude. i'm glad they made it out ok.

Just pretend it was the dry season. Next time it happens (hopefully it won't) it may stimulate breeding!
    walk signal

Wow nice save! Glad to hear they are ok.

Adrian
    Phillipians 4:4-7

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jose,
    Man....That was close....glad they made it okay...btw..they look great...

What is that saying? what doesn't kill you makes you stronger? Dang, those are some strong genetics in those alenquers....

-al
    Pretty funny, Al. I hope they understand that saying and don't bugout on me. They've been a bit timid after this ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by AADiscus View Post
    I'm glad everything turned out ok. Tell Jenny I said good job and a thumbs up to her. Have you checked your heater to make sure it still works ok. Looks like in the picture it was sticking out of the water some. The babies do look real good. BTW
    Hey, Angela, I'll let her know. As far as the heater goes, I stuck it back in their 29gal "holding tank" and it's holding the temp at 88* so I think it's still good to go. I think enough of it was still submersed to keep it from frying out.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Could have been worse Jose, at least the fish are fine and as my wife has said to me before, it's only water!!

looks like a shear in that tank, maybe the stand wasn't square or stable...could have been a fault too I guess.
    Paul, you're definitely right on the spilled water part.

As to the cause, I'm surmising that it may have been stress-induced by the drain pipe. I didn't add a piece of tubing inline as I did on the other tanks to act as a "buffer" or shock absorber to allow the main drain pipe to move and not affect the tanks. This particular tank tied in right next to the sink drain which is the stiffest part. I believe this because I noticed that it had actually pulled the pipe out of the right side sink trap if that makes sense.

Registered Member

Wow, lucky fish. That's similar to what happened to me. I got a call from my husband at work one day (I worked near where I live at the time). He told me to hurry up and get home, one of my tanks was leaking. So, I rush home and find him standing at the side of my nice 55g DAS tank holding his finger over a hole about 1/3 of the way from bottom of the tank (looking like a little Dutch boy at the dike). It's slowly leaking still even as he holds it. He takes his finger away to show me, and the water shoots out in a big arc across the floor. So, knowing the tank is screwed for now, I rush to catch fish and dump them into a tank I already had running. I don't like moving my fish like this, but it had to be done. As soon as they were caught, I hurriedly siphoned out the rest of the tank. I have tried to fix this tank and it doesn't seem to help. So, it got turned into a mudskipper tank. There is a few bumblebee gobies and some celebes rainbows in there as well for some movement in the tank, as I tend not to see my mudskippers at all.
    users.kent.net/~lisab/ - Lisa's Lair

Got to love those discus!

Registered Member

Jose,
    That is the old good news and bad news story.

Looking at the way that the tank broke,
    I am wondering if the bulkhead plumbing
    put some stress on the glass. How rigidly
    is the PVC mounted to the drain?
    Glass is a funny thing, sometimes it is
    can be very unpredictable.

Take Care,
    Paul.

Hey Paul, I believe you are correct in your determination. It's all hard piped. I didn't add a strip of tubing on this one like I did on my other racks to allow for movement. Stupid is as stupid does.

Registered Member

Hi Jose,

At least others can learn from our mistakes.
    At least the fish did not have to pay this time.

Take Care,

Paul.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12