ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Mosquito larvae

Registered Member

Default Mosquito larvae

how much mosquito larvae to feed discus, what percentage of their diet can i feed. it will be the cheapest fish food available. ill just have to remember to feed them(the larvae) before they fly.

Registered Member

Default Re: Mosquito larvae

Some of them will escape the mouth of the discus and you know what happen after that.

I'll be really worry about them flying around in my house. I know what they are after.

I feed [frozen] "glass worms" to my discus, which I belive are mosquito larvae. They are not their favorite, but they do eat them.

I feed several times/week along w/ FBW, FBS, Omega 1 flake, and some others.

With WEST NILE VIRUS speading world wide.

I would NOT want to be around anywhere:

You could collect enough live mosquito larva:

To use as fish food.

Registered Member

sorry but where i live is infested with the bastards. been here four years dont know where the water source is, possibly underground drains but even in the dry season is pretty bad.
    so i think that breeding them in buckets and feeding my fish might actually reduce the population. The guy who set up my tank told me to bait the buckets with poato peels. he thinks it will reduce the population also, from personal experience.
    He has a theory, that apparenty guppies are exported from trinidad to be freezedried feeder fish and the decline in the guppy population has causes an increse in the mosquito population?
    there have been four cases of dengue in my area but no i think ill be doing a community service actually

I culture my own in this mosquito ridden area of the deep south. of the US. I don't know thier nutritional value so I can't advise on the percentage of the fish's diet. I do know that the fish LOVE them. They even prefer them to CBWs. It's something about the jerky way they move, I think. I've found nothing gets a culture going like a piece of watermelon rind. You should try culturing your own tadpoles, too.

I yearn for summer and the abundance of good live food. Even my earthworms aren't producing now. They are getting fat and copulating instead. I never even knew that worms did that until I got fish. I'd always thought that their reproduction was all asexual. NOT!
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Even my earthworms aren't producing now. They are getting fat and copulating instead. I never even knew that worms did that until I got fish. I'd always thought that their reproduction was all asexual. NOT!

...copulating=producing...

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    ...copulating=producing...
    I know. It's just frustrating having to wait for worms to use as food. When the worms are doing their wormy thing I've found it best to leave the cultures untouched. But that's hard to do when you know that your Discus are craving live food.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

How should I try culturing my own tadpoles? Are they kind of too big for the discus?

It may not be a bad idea to do so if it is not to hard to do. I guess the question is where to get the taod eggs.

I get tadpoles from my pond in the spring. I tried feeding them to my large chiclids, they pick them up and spit them out. I've heard they taste bad. Never tried them!!!!!!

I have little green sticky foot frogs that lay in large tubs of water that I have outside. Maybe the variety of frog matters. All I know is that the Discus like them.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I have little green sticky foot frogs that lay in large tubs of water that I have outside. Maybe the variety of frog matters. All I know is that the Discus like them.
    There are a lot of differing species & size of frogs.
    So, there are a lot of differing kinds & size of tadpoles.

I think some kinds of tadpoles.
    Have a nasty tasting slime-coat as defense mechanism.
    To keep from getting eaten.

Below is a good link, that picture ID’s frogs in each state.

http://www.nwf.org/frogwatchUSA/frogs_state.cfm