AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardinals and Rummynose ~

Registered Member

Default Re: Cardinals and Rummynose ~

I think a nice lush planted tank with a big school of rummies or cards would be wonderful and have its own style and grace. I have thought of doing that at some point. By the way, I have keep these 2 fish together for years-they school together often, never a problem.
    Best regards
    Harriett

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2sybs View Post
    You really want us to take your word for this?
    Come on Marie, we want pics!!!
    No no No! Lol! Ray...I miss you guys! Raja has lost his everlovin mind too!

I really don't have any Rummynose...I only have one tank and that is my 125 of Fronts....

I want to set up my 20gal and get a whole bunch of Rummynose!!

Someday ~

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    I have to admit I have a bias towards keeping fish only with others from the same region so I personally wouldn't mix cherry barbs with rummy nose but I would be dishonest if I said they would not do well together. They each come from not such dissimilar waters albeit, if not from opposite sides of the planet.
    I wouldn't try keeping cherry barbs with discus on the basis of higher temperatures above those preferred by the cherry barbs.
    You are so knowledgeable, Larry! I have a friend and she agrees....she would never keep certain fish from dif lakes, regions, together either....

Quote Originally Posted by happygirl65 View Post
    Cherry barbs are beautiful and fun to watch! I have 8 of them with my angel community and they are a hoot. They chase each other in literal circles. I have about an equal number of males and females and they don't seem to fight at all. They leave the other fish alone, keep to themselves although they do seem to have formed a somewhat loose school with the lemon tetras. Very colorful tank.
    Have we seen a picture of this tank? I'm thinkin that'd be a No? Lol! Please post one for me? I want to see the Cherrybarbs and the lemon tetras....I almost got some to those too!

Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    I think a nice lush planted tank with a big school of rummies or cards would be wonderful and have its own style and grace. I have thought of doing that at some point. By the way, I have keep these 2 fish together for years-they school together often, never a problem.
    Best regards
    Harriett
    That would be very nice, Harriet! But I can not have real plants....I kill them ~ always! lol!

I will try the RM alone first when I do this, and then maybe add the Cardinals ~Harriett, can you post a picuture too?

Registered Member

Rummynose and Cardinals go great together, and you'll find that they'll even school together.

Another fish that I've kept for years with my cardinal's and rummy's are Harlequin Rasbora's. Very colourful, active schooling fish that spend a lot of their time near the top of the aquarium.

Regards,

BSB

Thanks for the info! Do you have a picture of that fish?

B ~ I just did some Googling and came up with this one ~ I really like it!

"Boraras brigittae"......he is so red! Apparently none get over an inch long...I found this one at

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-species-profiles.aspx
    Last edited by Kindredspirit; 02-26-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Hi K.
    You can get a bunch of them cheap from www.franksaquarium.com.
    Larry Waybright

Great site, Thanks, Larry! Hey, they advocate cbw ~ interesting....I don't think I have ever seen that on a fish site before, not that I really noticed! Even a link to Dan....!

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit View Post
    Great site, Thanks, Larry! Hey, they advocate cbw ~ interesting....I don't think I have ever seen that on a fish site before, not that I really noticed! Even a link to Dan....!
    You are very welcome, Marie.
    I know I sometimes come across a little arrogant at times but I try to share info I know to be correct and true.
    Other than my Discus and fancy dwarf Plecos, I really like Nano fish and some of the shrimp and Frank will go out of his way for his customers. He gets in some really rare, weird, beautiful and mostly small species of fish you just don't see in fish shops.
    I'd like to try keeping some Indostomus paradoxus. They are small fish that are like a pipe fish version of a darter from SE Asia.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 02-28-2008 at 06:01 AM.
    Larry Waybright

Tank space? 20 Gal? LOL put the fish you have in the 125 in the 20 Gal and stock the 125 with Discus. But yes cherry barbs I had aggressive.

))

John

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

Marie,
    I been keeping Rummys and Cardinals for as long as Discus. I have both species in my 215 gal tank. They're great together cuz they school separately. Occassionally they mix together but will separate and go their own way with their kind. Rummys are open water swimmers and Cardinals mostly stays in the shadows and plants.
    Respectfully,
    John
    www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com

You are very welcome, Marie.

I know I sometimes come across a little arrogant at times but I try to share info I know to be correct and true.
    I am not sure that is the correct word, Larry ~ I have always looked up to you and read with great interest what you had to say.

Other than my Discus and fancy dwarf Plecos, I really like Nano fish and some of the shrimp and Frank will go out of his way for his customers. He gets in some really rare, weird, beautiful and mostly small species of fish you just don't see in fish shops.
    Speaking of Frank...Larry, I have been to his site and spoken with him before! I forgot to tell you that Or did I? I am losing it

I have always loved his site and the pictures are awesome! I particular love his Goby selection ~ that is what reminded me I had been there before....

Thanks for the "blast from the past"...

I'd like to try keeping some Indostomus paradoxus. They are small fish that are like a pipe fish version of a darter from SE Asia.
    That sounds intersting! You are a wealth of knowledge for me, and this would just add too it.

Quote Originally Posted by jczz1232 View Post
    Tank space? 20 Gal? LOL put the fish you have in the 125 in the 20 Gal and stock the 125 with Discus. But yes cherry barbs I had aggressive.

))

John

Let's recap, shall we, John? Put my adorable 11 Frontosa babies in my 20 gallon?

What are you smokin? lol! They are perfectly happy in my 125 gallon ~ I see them now and they HEARD you.....!

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastDiscus View Post
    Marie,
    I been keeping Rummys and Cardinals for as long as Discus. I have both species in my 215 gal tank. They're great together cuz they school separately. Occassionally they mix together but will separate and go their own way with their kind. Rummys are open water swimmers and Cardinals mostly stays in the shadows and plants.

I am glad they school separately, Dan ~ I love these two fish! RN are my favorite!

How many RN would you recommend for my 20gal? Or how many of each?

I need to get my 20 gal together and perfect water conditions....

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit View Post
    I am glad they school separately, Dan ~ I love these two fish! RN are my favorite!

How many RN would you recommend for my 20gal? Or how many of each?

I need to get my 20 gal together and perfect water conditions....
    IMO 20 gallons is a little small for any tetras. They tend to do better in old filter and old water.

I've had my rummies and cardinals in the tank for over 2 years and are pushing 2".
    Respectfully,
    John
    www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com

I was thinking about that today....but that is all I have

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12