AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Enough filtration?

Registered Member

Default Enough filtration?

90 gal tank with gravel. Artificial plants and some driftwood.
    Eheim 2217 loaded with ceramic noodles, blue pad, bio balls, white pad, charcoal pad, prefilter on intake also.. Also, have a Hydo 4 sponge filter running in the tank.
    Tank will house 18 Cardinals, 7 Bronze Cory Cats, 4 Plecos and 6-7 Discus. Plan on 15% WC twice a week.
    Do I have enough filtration? Water has all fish except Discus right now and is cloudy. Been about 2 weeks with fish in it. Bacteria bloom? Ammonia is up just a tad, nothing else though.
    Leaning towards adding a Magnum HOT 250 top polish water.
    You guys are great on here , so let the opionions rip.........
    Last edited by MD Bandit; 02-13-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Default Re: Enough filtration?

What you have on the tank for filtration is fine but I would up your water changes on it to at least 25% water change 2 to 3 times a week due to your bioload that you will have in it. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Scott

Registered Member

Default Re: Enough filtration?

You know, I think for a 90 gallon, you are a little light on filtration. Personally I have gained a propensity for overfiltering over the years with discus especially but with all my tanks, I guess; and have consistantly seen healthier fish and more sparkly tanks each time; When I look at the specs on a given filter in terms of gph and the maunfacturer's recommendation of filter size for given tank size, I always err on the way low and then some. .