ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 2/21 - Movin' on up

Default 2/21 - Movin' on up

I guess it's high time for an update. Not a whole lot has changed over the last 3 weeks or so. They are still growing, still eating well, still social. I received some cute little BN plecos a few weeks ago (thanks Pinkertd!) and after a couple weeks in their own tank, added two of those to the challenge tank.

I guess the biggest change has been upgrading them this week from their 40 breeder to a 55. They are enjoying the extra swimming space it seems.

Since they got upgraded to a larger tank, I've back the daily water changes down from 90% to 75-80%. They don't seem to mind. They are still getting anywhere from 5 to 8 feedings a day, depending on who's around to give the extra feedings.

They still have their staple 4 daily autofeedings of ONFO pellets and usually get at least one feeding of FBW a day. They also get FBS and FMS (frozen mysis shrimp). They're not real keen on the FMS but they eat it. I think their favorite after FBW is the Jack Wattley Discus Formula frozen cubes they get. They really go nuts for that stuff. Which is good, because I have about 3 packages of it and none of my other fish really like it.

I have some short videos where they are eating the Jack Wattley food. So you'll see how they like it.

I would say there are 2-3 that are similar sized on the bigger side, then 4-5 somewhere in the middle and one smaller than everyone else. But, someone has to be the runt I guess. Overall, they all have pretty nice shape, however I am starting to notice one or two that aren't quite as nicely shaped. They are all still nice fish though.

These pictures are from 2/10, so about 10 days old:

These videos are from today:

Whew. And done.
    -Karen

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Default Re: 2/21 - Movin' on up

Karen,
    they are looking superb,keep up the great work.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Thumbs up Re: 2/21 - Movin' on up

Hi Karen:

They are looking great!.....

Trog
    Trog!

Discus! It's an addiction!!

Karen, they're looking shweeet!! What size tank are they in now? I've been thinkin' of throwing mine into 100gal but I may wait another month before doing that.

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Karen, nice job with them but that white sponge filter looks weird to me, I have never seen anything like that.
    Scott

Thanks Darren and Trog.

Jose- They are in a 55 gallon now. I don't think I'll be moving them up any time too soon. The only thing bigger I have right now anyway is a 75 gallon. I'd like to get a 125 gallon or two at some point but can't afford it right now.

Scott- Thanks. That is kind of a weird sponge filter. I came across them from people talking about them on my local club forum and an angelfish forum. Someone sells them on AquaBid. I thought they seemed like a good idea because I hate when I pull my regular sponges to clean and alot of the gunk falls off and fouls up the water when I do. These are enclosed so that doesn't happen. So far I like them alright. But I've only got a couple in a couple tanks, so I can't really say for sure how well they work. But they just have a coarse (AquaClear style) 1" thick or so sponge covering the top, then the rest is filled with filter floss. When I've cleaned them out they've been full of gunk so I guess it works some. I've always meant to just run one tank with only those kind to see how well they do, I just haven't done it yet.
    -Karen

Really really nice Karen! I love the colors and the shape......
    I have a bigger tank if you need to send them over

Ardan

Thanks Ardan. I picked up a 125 this weekend. Too little too late for you as they say eh? I think they're nice and comfy in their 55 for now anyway.
    -Karen