ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: RAMpage!

Default RAMpage!

I just added 4 Juvies to my tank, and it just so happened that earlier in the day my largest 2 Blue Rams finally spawned. So not only were my new Discus already stressed from being moved to their new home, but my new pair of rams are on the attack! Theyve taken the entire left side of my tank.

Most of the eggs have turned white and I dont want any Ram Fry right now, would it be alright to vacuum out the eggs when I do my water change today? Or will this make the Rams even more angry?

Heres a pic, sorry its so small

Default Re: RAMpage!

I would just vacuum out the eggs, move the driftwood around...they will settle down after that.
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

I vacuumed out the eggs and the male was very upset. I felt terrible to do so, he was attacking the vac with everything he had. Now the pair is searching for their eggs and I feel bad. This wont stop them from reproducing in the future will it?

Banned

Smile Re: RAMpage!

I've had Rams spawn often times with discus in the tank. It appeared that the discus actually showed "respect" to the protective nature of the Rams, and retreated when the male established a boundry and approached the trespassing discus. Then, when the eggs hatched, the discus just moved in on the fry. The Rams are too small to actually harm the discus. No pair of Rams ever raised a spawn with a discus in the tank in my experience.

Mat

How often do the rams lay eggs? The male is almost as big as the juvie discus. Hes about 2.5 inches.

Banned

Smile Re: RAMpage!

If I recall correctly, they'd lay about every two weeks. It has been awhile since I had any Rams.

Mat