ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My "Other" Discus

Default My "Other" Discus

Hey Everybody -

I guess this isn't technically a challenge fish update, but it does shed some light on everything that's going on in my Fishroom.

Yesterday was officially my six month mark as a Discus Hobbyist. (I don't count the short and disasterous run with some LFS culls ten years ago!) I few months before starting the Hobbyist Challenge I bought 9 Red Melons and started growing them out.

Those first few days and weeks, I would turn on the light every morning and hope all the Discus were still alive! Well, I've gotten more sure of my discus husbandry since then (thanks to all the folks at Simply!) and have been rewarded with my first pair.

This is their fourth spawn and I think they've gotten the hang of it now. The male made some tentative fertilization passes the last spawn, but this past one it really looked like he meant it. They're still in my 75 gallon grow-out tank, but the pair is doing a good job of guarding the eggs and fanning them.

Naturally, they completely ignored the lovely breeding cone I provided and instead laid the eggs on the filter intake tube. Should I even bother to try and save this spawn or should I just let "nature" take its course and move them to their breeding tank once the spawn dissappears.

Here are some pics of the pair guarding the eggs......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: My "Other" Discus

Very nice spawn!! Hope ya get wigglers!

Now where are the Alenquer pics?

tc
    Mark
    Mark

Default Re: My "Other" Discus

I had wrigglers when I turned on the lights this morning! So far the parents are doing a great job and the other discus in the tank are not interested.... We'll see what happens when they go free swimming!

-- Scott