AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Accurate heater?

Registered Member

Default Accurate heater?

I have tryed several brand of heaters. They all have 2 things in common:
    1: the actual temperature they tegulate at is not what is say's on the heater.
    2: all at once for no appearant reason they seem to change several degrees.
    I have tried Visotherm, Theo and several others. I just go a Visotherm stealth. It say's it is accurate to +/- 1 degree. Any opinions as to the best heater?
    I understand that many use controlers with the heater. Most of the controlers I have found are rather expensive. Any good, resoable priced controlers? Thanks; Don T.

Default Re: Accurate heater?

Don-there is the million dollar question!

I stick to Visitherm Deluxe. With the Stealth there is no "on/off" indicator light, which helps me check up on operation.

I have bad experiences with Theo, Ebo, and "off" brands.

Good luck!
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

I use the "Ranco" controllers and titanium heaters that John over at Jehmco sells. This may not be cost effective if you have dozens of smaller tanks, but I only have a few running that are all 125 gals. or larger. They have proven to be very reliable and accurate for me, some have been in constant use for over 3 years with no problems at all. Prices for the controllers start at around $75 wired with a cord. They are cheaper if you get the models made to be hard wired. Way cheaper than others sell this controller for. At Foster's Smith for example, they are over $100.

I have always had great luck with the visitherm stealths. I also am surprised with the Guardian heater from Kensfish.com. I have four of the 250's and 3 of the 150's and have only had one 250 go bad. Actually it never came on and Ken replaced it quickly. HTH

Registered Member

I have only had one go bad (no heat) but I have had many that would not keep the temperature any where near constant. I have the visotherm stelth in my storage tank. If it keeps the temp good there I will probably try another one.
    I have 5 different discus tanks(14 tanks total) so I'm hoping not to have to get a controler for them all. Don T.

I run the visitherm stealths, exclusively. I like them alot and haven't had (knock on wood) and problems with them. The ones in my storage tank have worked out well, especially after I added the packing peanuts to the top of the tank. However, I did notice this weekend since it was about 30* warmer outside this weekend over the weekdays, it did over shoot my temp to 91* instead of 88*. I just lowered the setting last night so we'll see. I do plan on purchasing a Jehmco ETC-1 very soon for the storage tank so peace of mind and easy access.

I do have one question? Why is it that everyone uses the Jager heater completely submersed. If you look at them, they have a line indicating the max level the heater can be submersed.

I can answer the Jaeger submersed issue as I just bought 2 from Big Al's. Big Al's customer support staff tell me they have the high and low water indicator because they sell them in both the U.S. and Canada and Cananda has stricter regulations. Instead of getting two different patents, they get just one to sell in both countries. They assured me they are fully submersible and said the Eheim web site addressed the issue. I did not check the web site, but am currently using one and my fish haven't fried...so...?

Exclamation Re: Accurate heater?

That is probably why Big Al's charges twice the price in Canada