AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Power Outage!

Default Power Outage!

Hey Everybody -

We had a huge ice storm here in Ohio yesterday and naturally, we lost power around midnight. It was my first opportunity to test out some of the emergency backups I have in place.

I have all of my sponge filters hooked up to batter powered airpump that kick on automatically when the power fails. They worked like a charm! It was comforting to hear them humming along even though every other appliance in the house was out. I don't have any backups for my heaters just yet, but I'm working on it.

All in all, I was without power during the coldest part of the night (midnight to 7 am) and my tanks lost about 5 degrees. All of my Discus seemed unphased by the outage.

The only problem occurred when I went downstairs to check on my Challenge Fish during the power outage. As I approached the dark tank with my lantern, I could hear the poor little guys darting around in fear.

When I checked on them this morning, one of them had a nasty scrape on his forhead. (First Picture)

Other than that, they continue to do great. I am really impressed with their overall health, shape and good looks.

Al - You grow some really nice fish!!

-- Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Power Outage!

Scott, sorry to hear you lost power, I know it makes for a cold night. It, however, is good to hear your discus made out alright. When we lost power hear my discus were fine even down to 76*, however, my cories took it hard for some reason, and I ended up losing all but one. The challengers look great and hopefully that little guy will recover with no issues.

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Glad to hear that everything turned out just fine for you. My stuff is hooked to a backup system as well and has come in handy a few times already.
    Scott

Registered Member

Man, I HATE IT when I walk past the tank at night and hear "FWACK"

Thats great new your back ups worked for ya. It does suck about the one challenge fish though. Keep en eye on the scrape. We got 8" of snow Tuesday night. We are suppose to get more tomorrow.

Oh Geez you scared me when I saw that post !
    I'm so glad that things are O.K. -
    The scrape will heal -
    And the fish look great -
    WHEW !
    B