ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Red Rainbow and Discus?

Default Red Rainbow and Discus?

Does anyone here keep red rainbow (Glossolepis incisus) with discus? I have bosemanis and I would like to add some reds, but it appears that the reds require cooler water. Anyone?

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Default Re: Red Rainbow and Discus?

I do
    Good combination

The only thing I would caution is the adult males are VERY aggressive eaters...they go after the food and FAST! They are much faster and more active than my boesemanis in the same tank.
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

Yeah i would also say the same..some rainbows are alot ,more aggressive than others..but most are really fast...i have kept other rainbows but not the red...but in a way you wouldnt really want a large amount of rainbows in your tank just becuase you wouldnt want every part of the tank being covered with fast little fish that might get the discus a little firghtened (but then again might get used to it) and also just for food wise as the rainbows will snatch and eat all the food before the discus even fill their bellies up but thats usually in a large group of rainbows..and also depending on the tank size..but you have a 265 witch would shouldnt be a problem at all..

Registered Member Diamond Discus's Avatar

I have not had good luck with Rainbows and Discus. The water is too warm and makes them too hyper...plus they are horrible pigs and start looking like baloons with tails because I'd feed more to the Discus when they got shorted and guess who got that meal also! LOL I have not tried the Glossolepis incisus, although I absolutely love them...but I have had most every other kind. I just did a Rainbow only tank and it was great. I really love Rainbowfish.
    Sue