AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03-16-08 Help!! Issues

Default 03-16-08 Help!! Issues

OK, I've had a bit of trouble brewing in the Challenge tank for a couple of days maybe a bit longer. I'm gonna keep it short for now; I've got 4 of these guys for sure and one on the fence that are really dark colored. Staying hidden, and one is headstanding and listing pretty badly. There for a bit their slime coat looked a bit splotchy like grayish spots, now they're just super dark. I'm considering giving these guys a treatment of PP @ 2ppm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: 03-16-08 Help!! Issues

Well, I don't know what to make of it, but I've dosed the tank with Quick Cure.

Real Name
    Brian

Have you checked for ammonia?

Sorry to hear about your troubles Jose, I wish had some advice to offer, but I'm sure the more experienced will have some suggestions for you. I hope they pull through! Mine were off their feed a little last night and this morning and that always worries me, I can imagine that you're quite worried about yours!
    -Karen

Yea, I didn't see any however, I don't know how much I trust it since the kit is over a year old. I did a 90%WC and hit em with QC. On the water note, my nitrates were over 20 and I showed a touch of nitrites which I totally don't understand how my biofilter could hve taken a hit. This is why I'm buying a new test kit, as I don't totally trust it, but it could be right since I tested after the WC and saw a decrease in both.

Karen, thanks for the kind words; I know what you mean about concern. Mine haven't been as energetic throughout the feeding. They don't finish off the FBW like they used to, they've been apathetic towards the BH altogether. I've slowly seen some improvement with the BH as I've left it in a bit longer for them to finish off. It almost as they are now wired more for the autofeeder than me again (I thought I had broken them of that) Just this morning I tried to give the FBW on the left side of the tank after the WC; they ran to it and kinda pecked at it and then bolted the top right of the tank looking up. They were waiting for the pellets to fall in as it was time for the feeder to drop the food; however, I had taken it off 'cause I didn't want there food dropping in while I was working on the tank. They did this continuously; swim to the left and check out the FBW and then dart to the right to make sure they didn't miss their pelllets.

I just went out there a bit ago after waking up (as I'm workin' nights this weekend) and none were listing or headstanding but they were still black.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Jose, l am really sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Trust me when l say that l know how you feel. Hopefully you can overcome the problem....unlike myself.

Good luck my friend.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Thanks, Joe, I hope they do pull out of it. I'm treating with QC now, and have upped the WC to two per day. I've got some pics, I'll post in a bit.

Default Pictures

Hey Jose...Sorry to hear these guys are feeling a little under the weather! Just a thought, Have you cleaned out your filter lately? There might be some waste that slipped thru the prefilter sponges.

tc
    Mark
    Mark

Hey, Mark, thanks for the heads up; I only run sponge filters and rinse them out once a week. I had actually just rinsed these two two days ago when I moved these guys up on the rack.

Hi Jose. Sorry to hear about ur problems. Maybe they r withdrawing from the autofeedr. I don't no if fish go thru withdrawls, but u never no..... Be careful w/the meds. Have u tried salt? I can't give u advice , just some thing that i would try. Good luck bud!!!! I am real conservative when it comes to meds. I don't treat unless i no for sure something is wrong. Thats when i come here and start asking for advice.
    Eileen

Jose,

If the fish have been off on their appetite and theres food sitting there...it may have rotted enough to cause a bacterial infection.. The 3 dark ones... Do they have any bloated stomachs or off colored feces.

What pellets are in the auto feeder?

I would discontinue the auto feeder for a few days... They should tear into food you feed them by hand, imo

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks, Al, I have discontinued the autofeeder for right now and didn't feed them much of anything yesterday. I came home this morning and gave them some BH and they hit it pretty good. I have the Omega marine pellets in the autofeeder.

In regards to the infection. I do have some kanamyacin laying around; would you recommend I try that or should I use a different antibiotic?

I would use the kanamycin....Its good for an internal bacterial infection..

especially if they have been like this a few days.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

How are they doin for ya Jose? I hope things are looking up!

tc
    Mark
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast