ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Red Pencil Fish

Default Red Pencil Fish

Anyone keep red pencil fish with the discus? I recently updgraded my discus tank from a 90G to a 265G. So, naturally, I want to add more fihs. One of the LFS's that I frequent had nice looking red pencil fish and I've read here, I think, that some keep them with the discus. So, I bought 6 red pencil fish and also 6 congo tetras. Congos are doing great, but in 10 days, I lost 5 of 6 pencil fish and they were not cheap either. Did I get a bad batch, or these guys don't do well in warm water?

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Default Re: Red Pencil Fish

I think I read somewhere that Pencil Fish can live up to 5 years...they do will in 72-84 degree waters ~ here is a link that has additional info

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres...Pencilfish.php

Also found this:

"Discus in general of course always do better on their own. But aquarists from all around keep in them communities often. Both Angelfish and Discus are cichlids which exhibit territorial and aggressive behavior to some extent. But this is normally directed at other fish of the same species. Keeping both these fish in large groups of four to six should limit aggressive behavior. I mention this because there is much controversy about keeping angels with discus and I think the key to this is keeping both these fish in a school so they can keep to themselves instead of bothering the other fish. Nearly all tetras should make excellent companions, as do small to medium south american catfish, such as bristle nose plecos, royal panque, as well as the well camaflouged royal farlowella, other S. American catfish like Banjos and the beloved little Corydoras are excellent for a sout american biotop tank. Tetras like the red-eye, Cardinal, neons and the like are excellent. The highly interesting pencil fish such the dwarf and Beckford's pencilfish are also amazonia species. Don't forget about Hatchet fish, and the unusual penguin fish whom is a also part of the pencil fish also is from the amazon. The key is the pick only peaceful fish whom mind their own business and to research any specific species before purchase to insure you can provide their proper care and can know what to expect from their temperament. Another very important procedure when keeping discus with other fish is insuring you quarentine all new arrivals since discus are suceptable to any parasites or diseases the new fish may bring in."
    Last edited by Kindredspirit; 03-24-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Nannostomus mortenthaleri can be kept with discus but they will be better off in a species tank with perhaps some Corydoras and red cherry shrimp.
    Your losses may be caused by parasites. They should be treated for flukes and well conditioned on small live foods while in a minimum two week quarantine period. They are used to very soft acid water and come into shops very run down. One more move to take them home may be enough stress to finish killing them. They live for years once acclimated.
    One of my dozen Coral reds. A female. Males are even prettier.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 03-24-2008 at 11:49 PM.
    Larry Waybright

Thanks for the info. May be I had a bad batch, or something wasn't quite right with the tank. I will try again in a month or so.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty