ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Peruvian" Greens

Default Re: "Peruvian" Greens

The second photo of the one with the over sized eyes would lead me to believe they are stunted, not a small "race".
    If a separate race of "pygmy discus" was the case the eyes would be proportionately small.

Default Re: "Peruvian" Greens

Hi All,
    I don't know where these discus are from. I just know that I used to get them very cheaply but in healthy condition and I always found them disappointing because they were difficult to sell compared to any other greens. They were common from only one of my Peruvian importers located in LA. He was also Peruvian. I found them to never grow big and as to eyes, many green discus have eyes larger than other discus species. They also often lack red eyes that are so prominent in Blue/Browns.
    R. Collins has brought their best out of them with his care.
    Discussions about them was my wish and you have all brought up good points. The only thing that seems lacking is a common shared experienced with these particular types of green discus which as I have said, I have not seen them in many years until Collins sent me his photos.
    My use of the word "race" was intended to be the same as "population." They were a distinctly different form of green discus than I had seen before or since until seeing Collins' photos. I had received only Tefe' and even a few red spotted heavily striated discus which were simply called "Royal Greens" circa 1970.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 04-03-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Larry Waybright

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12