AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: eggs and fungus

Registered Member

Default eggs and fungus

my young red melons keep trying... and keep getting fungused eggs. I tried adding formalin/malachite green (quikcure) to prevent the fungus this time, but I didn't do it until the eggs were already a day old...and some hours later, there was the fungus again.
    next time, should I add it right away (and also, do I do the drop a gallon, or do I do more?)

Default Re: eggs and fungus

Hi there,
    My melons were doing the same thing then I added some meth blue to the eggs about 1 hour after they layed them and now I've got a batch of about 60, so maybe give this a try. I followed the instructions on the bottle.

Registered Member

Hi Judy,
    I add formalin 3 per dosage on bottle. I believe it is 1 tsp/10G. I add it about 1-2 hours after they are done spawning, and repeat every 24 hours until wigglers arrive. After wigglers come, I stop and the eggs will begin to fungus up a bit, but the parents usually quickly eat them up.

Hope this helps,

Ted

Hi Judy,
    With Quick Cure you add 1 drop/gal within the first hour after done spawning. You only need to add it once unless the eggs are fungusing badly even after the first dose. That could also mean the tank needs to be cleaned up by wiping inside walls down, rinsing sponge filter etc.
    HTH

Kacey

Registered Member

tank is sparklling clean.... but when this batch gets disappeared, I'll' do a housecleaning again, then dose the quik cure rught away upon spawn.
    Unless they go at it at four AM...

I would give the them and the tank a good pp treatment, then next time they spawn add meth blue or quick cure. I have started using quick cure more than meth blue lately. I'm not a big formalin person, only when if it really, really needs it. (I just hate putting anything in a tank besides water and fish!)