ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pls post pics of filtration and tanks....

Registered Member

Default pls post pics of filtration and tanks....

I am looking to start a planted discus tank in the near future. I can only reasonably do one water change per week. I would like to see people's set-ups and filtration systems. I have NO discus experience but about 15 years of saltwater / reef experience. I currently have a heavily stocked stony coral tank so I am sure discus will be manageable. I have way too many time commitments to do more than one big water change per week. I have a 5 stage RO/DI unit that I use for my reef tank. I am thinking overkill on filtration and a heavily planted tank. Ideas, thoughts and lots of PICS are appreciated !!!

Default Re: pls post pics of filtration and tanks....

You should check out the Planted section on this forum...there is lots of info and pics...

Welcome to "SD" Jack!

How big is your tank would be my first question.

tc
    Mark
    Mark

Registered Member

my reef is 60 gallons but I am thinking of a 180 AGA tank for planted discus. 8-10 fish total. maybe a school of some sort of tetras as well.

Welcome Jack.

Nice sized tank 180 gals

You have options, a sump has many benefits, particularly when water changes will be reduced. They aincrease total water volume, they also allow you to get all the gubbins out of the tank, so the tank looks better! They are very flexible as you can use almost any type of media, even use ozone, co2 or whatever. CO2 mayoff gas a littel but it's cheap enough.

After that would be cannister filters, the wet/dry range from eheim are truly excellent at bio filtration. The eheim classic range are very efficient. There are other brands and I have tried most, but eheim are bullet proof.

8-10 adult discus, a school of cardianls or rummy noses with some BN's and/or corys would look brilliant imo.

If you can using a sump would be the way I'd go.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

thanks paul. I have lots of experience with sumps and tons o gadgets with my reef (phos ban reacotr...calcium reactor....protein skimmer...auto top-off to name a few) What do you think of the Aquaclear filters ?? I was thinkig of going without a sump for simplicity and using a canister and two aquaclear 110's.

I personally wouldn't use a HOB filter on a planted tank. It takes the asthetics away from the planted tank scape. If using C02. they will also off gas the c02 considerably.

I have 2 XP3's on my 125G wich works really well since I also removed the heaters out of the tank an plumbed 2 inline hydor 300W heaters. The only thing in the tank is 2 spray bars and 2 intakes.

I suppose you could use Eheims...

tc
    Mark
    Mark

I'm running a fluval 405 cannister with a spraybar, an aquaclear 110 and a sponge filter on my planted 125. Of course I'd much rather have the intakes more hidden. Hopefully as it fills in it'll look a little better. I also do 30%-40% water changes every couple days, but that's because I have juvies in there and want good growth! I still test 0 amonia after 3 days!

Registered Member

more photos ?? I would love to see photos of filter sytems...sumps....etc

great pic dig !

Fluval FX5: love this thing on my 110gal planted discus tank
    http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/flfx5hipecaf.html

Newly Planted:

Older Shot:
    110gal High-Tech Planted Discus
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus Grow-Out
    55gal BBB Discus

Registered Member

I have a 180g hi tech planted discus tank. I run an FX5 canister with the output as a home made spray bar at bottom of tank and pointing up the back wall; additionally a Cascade 1000 canister filter on which I have my CO2 line plugged into the input pipe; I have the CO2 on a controller set at 6.8]; 400 watts of PC light on timers. Currently stuffed with plants in a silica sand substrate, only 9 adult discus, but lots of loaches, some cardinals, etc. I do occasional as-needed top offs for evaporation during the week and once a week a 70% water change with tap via python. My BB tanks get changes every other day--this one cruises with once a week changes. This tank has been up about 7 years. I originally ran it as a hi tech tank with a wet dry system and that got old. Switched to the canisters a year ago. Tried the FX5 alone but it didn't quite do it for me--although on a 110-125g it would be terrific I think. So I added the other and it is fine.
    Glad to answer anything about what I'm doing if you have questions. I love this size tank for a planted, it gives me all kinds of room to fool around. I have made certain I have heavily plant-stocked the tank and understocked the discus. I have never kept more than about 13 discus in there. Success is of course all about your individual tank's unique balance of plant density and type, ferts, lights, CO2, filtration, fish [food, poop, respiration needs], to say nothing of the esthetics....which is what sends me.
    Best regards hope you have a ball!
    Harriett
    Last edited by Harriett; 03-20-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    I have a 180g hi tech planted discus tank. I run an FX5 canister with the output as a home made spray bar at bottom of tank and pointing up the back wall; additionally a Cascade 1000 canister filter on which I have my CO2 line plugged into the input pipe; I have the CO2 on a controller set at 6.8]; 400 watts of PC light on timers. Currently stuffed with plants in a silica sand substrate, only 9 adult discus, but lots of loaches, some cardinals, etc. I do occasional as-needed top offs for evaporation during the week and once a week a 70% water change with tap via python. My BB tanks get changes every other day--this one cruises with once a week changes. This tank has been up about 7 years. I originally ran it as a hi tech tank with a wet dry system and that got old. Switched to the canisters a year ago. Tried the FX5 alone but it didn't quite do it for me--although on a 110-125g it would be terrific I think. So I added the other and it is fine.
    Glad to answer anything about what I'm doing if you have questions. I love this size tank for a planted, it gives me all kinds of room to fool around. I have made certain I have heavily plant-stocked the tank and understocked the discus. I have never kept more than about 13 discus in there. Success is of course all about your individual tank's unique balance of plant density and type, ferts, lights, CO2, filtration, fish [food, poop, respiration needs], to say nothing of the esthetics....which is what sends me.
    Best regards hope you have a ball!
    Harriett

Pics!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark

So you've got the salt water experience in you pocket...you have knowledge about sump

my suggestion is make a home made trickle filter... nothing fancy, just something bigger than required. If you can, make it connected into a sump system. Same principle than saltwater, but just overkill it in the size perspective, and stick with the basic;
    1) a big container (25% of your tank in actual water volume),
    2) your medium of choice (sponge, bioballs,), try to layer your media, and try not to clean it more than once a year...seriously
    3) a third/half of that media in air and the remaining submerged
    4) don't dose plant mineral manually, human are not disciplined for this kind of task
    5) let it ride... even if you have algua outbreak (let it ride for 6 weeks before taking action... cause you will probably get thing worst if you do.... tha's just nature working right there)

Fluval FX5 is the best pick if you don't feel like building something, but a good pump, and big sump can go a long way, not that hard to build, and very efficient...

have a look at the tread form Hans (He has 2 tread on his fishroom... look at how simple it his and streamlined).

keep it simple, and big if you can.
    FrancK
    2018 year of the big tank!!!.

I'd avoid the hang on back filters, been a while since I used one but they don't work great on planted tanks if you use CO2 - or even if you don't! Also to me they are an eyesore.

Only problem I haev found with teh FX5 is it is soooooo complicated it needs a processor to keep it from airlocking I like things to be simple so I stick with elegant, simple and efficient designs.

Of course if you want a really big cannister filter you can always try this baby http://www.aquariumproductswholesale...t_detail&p=449
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast