ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What's next after breeding?

Registered Member

Default What's next after breeding?

Hi fellow members,

say for example you have a few breeding pairs... just some normal turqs pair and mixed pairings.

they got fries. the fries become juveniles...

here comes my question,

-lack of tanks hence lack of space

what should we do?

at what size is the right time to release them for sale?

or do we not sell them but give them away for fellow hobbyists?

thanks~

cheers,
    learning air

Default Re: What's next after breeding?

I would start selling them at 2" -2.5". You could always sell them to a hobbyist for a cheap price just to help pay for some of your food, etc. You could do some trading with someone. (trades are always good)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by AADiscus View Post
    I would start selling them at 2" -2.5". You could always sell them to a hobbyist for a cheap price just to help pay for some of your food, etc. You could do some trading with someone. (trades are always good)
    thanks!

1 more question, at what size should we start to seperate them? since there are bound to be a certain percentage of juvs being smaller or being bigger than the average group?

how many % would you personally keep for own breeding and further development?

thanks for all advise!

cheers,
    air

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by airbus123 View Post
    thanks!

1 more question, at what size should we start to seperate them? since there are bound to be a certain percentage of juvs being smaller or being bigger than the average group?

how many % would you personally keep for own breeding and further development?

thanks for all advise!

cheers,
    air

If you are asking what size should the fry be before removing them from their parents then that would be personal preference. You can remove them as early as 5 to 7 days or keep them in with them for many weeks.

As to your second question it is also personal preference. If you are looking to further develope then it comes down to how much room do you have for more discus and if you have the room then I would keep 8 to 10 of your best looking discus for your future breeders, of course this is just my personal opinion.
    Scott

I agree with Scott. I usually keep the best 8 at the most for breeders, and would keep 10 if I had the room.
    I also start culling as soon as I can see the ones that aren't keeping up or that have physical deformities. When you're growout space is limited, culling hard is a nescessary evil.

Kacey

Registered Member

I have limited tank space, what I do is contrary to many here, I like to breed in a 29 gal (I also use 20's) I leave the fry with the parents for 3 months. Three reasons:
    1) Keep the parents together, they dont breed when they have babies.
    2) the parents suppliment the feeding when I am at work and unable to feed them
    3) Tank space - I only have 7 aquariums with one being the show tank, I have placed my breeders back in the show tank and later put them together to breed and did not have good results, when I leave my pairs together, and remove the babies, they start to breed immediately.
    remember one thing! it is easy for them to lay eggs, the hard work comes when you are caring for the fry, you really have to make a commitment to keeping them healthy.

- Tom

Registered Member

Suggest you keep 10 percent of the best and farm out the rest to other breeders(hobbyist) with the
    understanding if you ever need some of your stock back they can give you back some. You
    can also start a breeders exchange too.

Cliff

Registered Member

wow thanks guys,

abundant advices,

to add, regarding culling, when's a good time to start the process? once u can see them in shape of a fish? 4weeks old?

thanks!

cheers,
    air

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Suggest you keep 10 percent of the best and farm out the rest to other breeders(hobbyist) with the
    understanding if you ever need some of your stock back they can give you back some. You
    can also start a breeders exchange too.

Cliff
    Hi Cliff,
    I thought that was my idea. I accidentally killed my two best pairs of red turquoise and fortunately had about 60 from their last brood. I gave twelve to another discus keeping friend with the understanding we would share the pairs or he can keep and breed them all and I will provide the fry grow out space. This arrangement is nice because he has the discus to enjoy and I have more space for the wild discus I prefer. It is hard to give up the domesticated red turquoise because they are pretty and eminently salable. Having said that, I tend to trade many of my discus with a friend that breeds zebra plecos among others and has a fish shop so I really trade most of my discus for breeding stock of other species. I can get rid of many discus for every zebra pleco I get. The little buggers one inch long are $200 each and there is a much longer waiting list than there are zebra plecos. The sold discus get turned into wild discus.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 04-07-2008 at 04:19 PM.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

Great Ideas Larry & Cliff,
    I need to find homes for my SS's, I just hate giving them up, I'm waiting for my buddy (JT) to get his fish up and going so we can swap.
    got to go do water changes!

Tom

Registered Member

nice when u have buddies around that shares the same hobby.

haha cheers!

zebra plecos...nice.

air