AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Red spot green from Malaysia

Registered Member

Default Red spot green from Malaysia

Hi,

my friend has chance to get some Red spot green discus from Malaysia. But the price seems too low for me.
    Is there chance that they breed wild greens or it is only some mistake in name?
    My friend is from Czech republic. And here price of wild red spot greens 10 cm is about 50 euro retail.
    And the fish from Malaysia is only 18 euro for 10 cm discus.
    What do you think?

Thank you.

Default Re: Red spot green from Malaysia

I wouldn't chance it but that's just me. I will only buy a fish if I can pick it out myself or if I trust someone to look at it and tell me if they think it's good or not. Also remember that quality is worth the price...at least it is to me. You get what you pay for. The fish may be culls, or may be stunted, etc. I'm not saying that they ARE, I'm simply saying to look out for those things and don't be surprised if that is what he receives if he never sees a picture of the actual fish. Don't forget the shipping charges as well!

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Doubtful the malay fish is a wild, most likely a domesticated green hybrid. The hybrid will most likely be much better colored than a wild, which may or may not be what you want.

Seems that most red spotted green domestic discus are just red turquoise with discontinuous striations forming dot dashes. pretty fish but not the same as a wild red spotted green.
    Larry Waybright

I have found that buying any discus by its name is worthless. I know this is a "duh" statement but for new and inexperienced members I can tell you the disappointment of buying from one vendor who calls his discus a name you saw on another vendors discus you liked is risky business, and frequently leads to a disappointment. I have plenty of experience in that expensive aspect of the hobby.
    Mark

Registered Member

Thanks to all for your opinions.
    My friend decided to wait for the new season and he will choose discus himself.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    Seems that most red spotted green domestic discus are just red turquoise with discontinuous striations forming dot dashes. pretty fish but not the same as a wild red spotted green.
    Agreed, i had an opportunity to lightheartedly talk (over a few drinks) to several highly respected asian breeders while i was at Aquarama one year , and the subject of rsg came up. I asked why they are not being bred as per wild type, with the black circle through the fins and all the lovely features of the wilds....i was told that black coloring is not desired by most breeders and they select to remove as much as possible. Prob a good business decision........

The tradition of altering ornamental fish into new forms far removed from the appearance of the wild ancestor is an ancient tradition in the Far East.

I have enjoyed my fancy domestic discus very much over the years but I am now trying to raise wild type discus that retain their characteristic traits. I am hoping that I will be able to find a market for TR traditional discus. I started out breeding wild fish but I too was drawn like a moth to a flame to the fancy hybrids. Then I began to become bored with them although keeping a strain of red turquoise is something I will continue since they will always remain popular and they are attractive. I miss seeing traits like the dark ring around the rim of a green discus or Blue/Browns for that matter.

I do find the questions that arise out of crossing wild type species academically interesting, I do not intend to try any crosses myself.
    That would be like going back to the beginning days of establishing the first fancy domestics and I see no reason to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 05-01-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    Larry Waybright

Quote Originally Posted by MSD View Post
    I have found that buying any discus by its name is worthless.

wonder who brain washed you into thinking that settle for whatever the importer says they are mentality.. ha haaaaa
    iM CURED FROM THE DiSCUS ADDiCTiON .. GETTiNG OUT THE HOBBY ..

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    The tradition of altering ornamental fish into new forms far removed from the appearance of the wild ancestor is an ancient tradition in the Far East.

I have enjoyed my fancy domestic discus very much over the years but I am now trying to raise wild type discus that retain their characteristic traits. I am hoping that I will be able to find a market for TR traditional discus. I started out breeding wild fish but I too was drawn like a moth to a flame to the fancy hybrids. Then I began to become bored with them although keeping a strain of red turquoise is something I will continue since they will always remain popular and they are attractive. I miss seeing traits like the dark ring around the rim of a green discus or Blue/Browns for that matter.

I do find the questions that arise out of crossing wild type species academically interesting, I do not intend to try any crosses myself.
    That would be like going back to the beginning days of establishing the first fancy domestics and I see no reason to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
    let me know if you ever have some domestic bred wild discus for sale

wonder who brain washed you into thinking that settle for whatever the importer says they are mentality.. ha haaaaa
    You don't even write in english, I can't even understand what you wrote here???? One thing I am sure of its another attack on Hans, your child-like mind is so limited. Hard to believe you are in your 30's, perhaps the drugs have destroyed your mind??
    Mark