AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Best Chemical Filter Media to Run in Discus Tank?

Default Best Chemical Filter Media to Run in Discus Tank?

I'm humoring the thought of having some type of chemical filter media in my canister filter in order to keep my future discus happy and healthy. But, I am wondering WHAT I should use to keep the water pristine. Since I will be cleaning out my currently established 55 gallon tank, throwing away sand, getting rid of the plants, sterilizing everything with bleach including the filters, and heaters, I will essentially be starting from scratch with no bioload.

I am familiar with the bio-cycle: ammonia>>>>nitrite>>>>nitrate and I am wondering what I can add to my canister filter to keep all of these levels at or near 0 ppm. What do you guys/gals on here use in your filters to keep these readings low and how often do you change this media? I know there is no substitute for large and frequent PWC's, I just want to keep the levels low in case I can't do a water change as scheduled. TIA for any help/advice/tips you are able to provide!

Registered Member

Default Re: Best Chemical Filter Media to Run in Discus Tank?

I use bio-rings they are made by Cascade also known as Penn-Plax they are great for increasing the amount of biological filtration I also sponge filters and a box filter with bio-rings. It keeps my ammonia at zero. Ideally it's best to do more water changes.

Ron