AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Your wild discus tanks

Default Re: Your wild discus tanks

Kevin, Larry and Robyn thank you for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    I have a 125 gal tank of similar looking Nhamunda S. haraldi and I'll post a photo of them soon... Many discus from that region have that distinctive red orange tinge to their base color which is attractive. The diversity of wild phenotypes never ceases to amaze.
    I already know Larry your efforts from the very interesting thread about design and set up of your 125 gal tank. You are correct about the red base color of many discus from Nhamundã, even if the majority of aquarists believe that red wild discus comes only from Alenquer region (specially from lago Cuipeua). I 'll show you (in a couple of days) some more photos of mine, to see how red could be Nhamundâ (specially Maracanhã) discus.

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Babis, what is your wc shedule for this tank. You said that for mechanical filtration you use 60 l filter. Thatis a very large volumen just for mechanical filtration. Could you post some pics of that filter and what filter materials do you use?
    Usually my water changes are 20-25% of water volume every weekend. I try to keep nitrate levels under 20-30ppm. About the mechanical filtration you have right to wonder. To be more precise my sub contains blue sponges, mainly to collect floating particles but also to be colonized by bacteria. You can see a drawing here, and a photo here. If you are interested to see the initial design and setup of the specific tank some years before, you can try here (text in English). There are some changes of course from that time.

Registered Member

Hi,

just back from collecting in Malaysia, judging 260 discus and giving lectures on the present and future of our hobby, including natural biotope aquariums (which every Malaysian loved seeing those), and I have to congratulate Babis for this fantastic tank setup. I should have a nice (high res) photo of it and maybe I can still squeeze it into my volume II which should be out next spring...
    If you want send it to my address and the name of photographer and I give all the credit. My email is on the bottom of my homepage.
    And Babis: I never said that red discus are only from the Alenquer region -only the first in the hobby came from there. I collected reds also in the Lago Nhamundá, in the Rio Içá region and elsewhere (you can see from my book).

Quix: you can use Eichhornia crassipes and Salvinia spp, or Pistia stratiotes - but those all need good (strong) light.

All the best and again, beautiful setup, one sees immediately that the discus love it, they talk to you , telling you that they are happy...(at least I can hear them saying it...).

Heiko
    www.aquapress-bleher.com

Dear Heiko thank you for your encouraging comments.
    Perhaps you recognize the connection between your efforts to inform all of us about discus and their habitat and my tank .
    I have read almost everything that you wrote about discus (Books, AquaGeographia, World of Discus videos, aqua International Journal, lessons from discuspassion, countless public forum posts etc) and I really try to follow - as much as I can - your guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko Bleher View Post
    I never said that red discus are only from the Alenquer region -only the first in the hobby came from there. I collected reds also in the Lago Nhamundá, in the Rio Içá region and elsewhere (you can see from my book).
    I don't have you in my mind when I wrote the above opinion, I know about your discoveries and collections of red discus from many Amazon regions.

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

I was just doing a picture search on Wild Discus Tanks and it brought me right back to Simply ... again... If you haven't skimmed-thru this old thread, you should. Magnificient!

Registered Member

327428_2388898442535_1434932285_o.jpg

An old photo of my tank.

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

Fabilous my friend from Greece! Hope I resurrected this thread :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Periklis View Post
    327428_2388898442535_1434932285_o.jpg

An old photo of my tank.
    Amazing!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member Wildcaught dutchman's Avatar

Here a recent photo of my wild discustank.Panorama are not my best photos but maybe you can imagine the rest:

Registered Member

Beautiful thread ... i am in process of starting wild discus tank and reading the articles and forums around...
    Why is this thread dead ? Any new pics or biotopes around ?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678