AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northeast Discus meeting 2008---updated with Pics and Info

Exclamation Northeast Discus meeting 2008---updated with Pics and Info

Hi all,
    Its been awhile since the last time we had a meeting of Discus Keepers in the Northeast USA....We've done this twice over the last few years and they have always been alot of fun... I've been asked repeatedly to host another one and have finally caved in to the pressure ...(heaven help me!)

I'm still kicking around the format..but it will be informal as the last two were... Depending on the numbers interested we'll either have it catered or at a restaurant as we did before... If the group is of reasonable size we may just have it here at my home in Northford CT, and I'll fire up the grills, firepit and get my cooking attire on ...

There is no fee for attending except to cover the costs of the event...and I'll let you all know that once its finalized.... All are welcome to attend this social event.

The Date for this meeting is June 14th, 2008... It will probably be a noon to whenever meeting.....so set the date on the calender if interested..

Goals of the meeting so far...

1) Meet and get to know fellow hobbyists
    2) Discuss the formation of a regularly meeting Group that will rotate around members homes on a Monthly or Bi-Monthly basis
    3) Talk Discus

I don't know if we'll have speakers.. depends on how many interested members we have.......I'm leaning towards no speakers and more open discussion in a round table format....but thats subject to change.

I'm considering having an auction at the end of the meeting where members can auction any fish of supplies they have if theres interest in that.

For members that are new here and don't know me...I'm a hobbyist breeder with a bunch of tanks in my basement and a fairly decent collection of wilds and domestics that I work with.....My system is as low tech as it gets...but works well for me The fishroom will be open for viewing as well, just don't expect fancy...

If you are new here...this would be an excellent opportunity for you to meet others in this great hobby... bring your questions and learn from others...

2 years or so ago we had about 35 people attend..... hopefully we'll have good turnout this time......but if its a handful of us ...thats fine too...

I'd like to ask you to sound off here if you are interested in

1) attending
    2) an auction

As soon as I have a better idea of numbers interested and format...I'll finalize it and asked for a hard commitment from you to RSVP.

Thanks all... hope you can make it...

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Northeast Discus meeting 2008

Sounds like a GREAT idea Al! Please count me in, and sign me up for whatever capacity is needed - coordinating details, slinging burgers, cleanup detail after festivities. You name it, I'm ready to support this effort.

Thanks for kicking it off!
    Steve -
    Discus novice. Planted tank pilgrim.

Well You better have an extra grilling apron for me my friend!!

I like the informal idea alot. A nice meet an greet and talk discus. Talk about a Northeast Discus club and future meetings. It would be great to kick start an informal NDA or whatever everyone wants to call it and have monthly meetings at other members places!

I like the auction idea, an I can donate some things my self.

I hope we get alot of interest in this since we have discussed this before. It would be excellent to make it a reality!

A pig roast is an idea we can kick around as well depending in the interest thats generated here. I will make the grill, you will just have to dig a hole, and with the work you did in your garden, that would be a walk in the park!

BTW...Are you making 10 gallons this year brew?
    Mark

I'm interested Al, not sure if i can attend quite yet, but i'm interested.

I would be interested in an auction as well... what a fish meeting if you cant bring anything good home, right?
    If hard work pays off the easy work is worthless
    120 Gallon (40 sump) Planted Discus Tank
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?88480-The-120-gallon-jungle-(56K-warning)&p=778757#post778757

Al, Another dream come true.. Count me in !! Please post if you need the money up-front !!!! Your apprentice, David T :9)

Al,
    I'm definately intrerested.
    I'll probably try & tie it together with a family long weekend in Ct.(we been threatening to get up there anyway).
    The auction idea sounds great.
    I'll mark the date on my calender!
    Rob
    If you get confused... Listen to the music play-
    Jerry Garcia

Yes very much interested. Put me down as a volunteer to do any work as well.

Cheers
    Ashay
    Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

Yeah Al, I'll be there... =)
    If hard work pays off the easy work is worthless
    120 Gallon (40 sump) Planted Discus Tank
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?88480-The-120-gallon-jungle-(56K-warning)&p=778757#post778757

I'll personally help dig the hole for the pig roast, what a dream come true discus and a bbq!

That sound like alot of fun...... Count me in. Can you bring your family too?

Will there be Beer!!!!!!!

Hi all,
    Great interest so far... Thats awesome!

Tamara,
    yes....Family is welcome... I have decent sized yard and sand box here for kids to play in.... as well as lots of critters to look at.

There will be beverages there....both high test and unleaded...I may even brew up something special..

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I'm a hobbyist breeder with a bunch of tanks in my basement and a fairly decent collection of wilds and domestics that I work with....
    And we should also hand out awards. Based on the above quote, I'm nominating you for the "Humble Understatement of the Year" trophy.
    Steve -
    Discus novice. Planted tank pilgrim.

senso

Great idea,. It has always been a pleasure meeting other folks with a discus passion.

Due to soccer commitments I will likely not be able to attend. I am certain it will be fun.

Sweet!!!!!!!!!

If anyone wants to carpool from Queens, NY let me know. I got a SUV with 3 seats available.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast