ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discus Madness

Default Re: Discus Madness

Hi Rob,

Well, my 2 red diamonds originally had a white face and a really red body...The face slowly lost its white color and the body became more and more orangey. Now they are both totally orangey !!!! They are both good looking fish that really grew (they are about 6 and a half ") but they are both peperring and super aggressive!!! (any link there???)
    They were red melon disguised as red diamonds!!!! Hormones, hormones....I was told not to feed them any anasthaxin (spelling???) which is impossible as it's in most foods... When I e-mailed Matthias, I got no reply....Should have called!!!!
    Do you have the same problem I do?

Sophie

I think when faces turn from white to redder color with age then what you have are males..the females supposedly stay white faced..i could be wrong anyone care to correct me be my guest..
    iM CURED FROM THE DiSCUS ADDiCTiON .. GETTiNG OUT THE HOBBY ..

One of my so called "red diamonds" is a male....The other one is a female. Both have paired up and spawned. This is how I know who is what!!!!

Sophie

Sounds like you got it down pat Sophie! Honestly, I get food from Mathias, but buying discus over the net from him is a bad idea. Its risky at best and bound to disappoint. Stick with sponsers from this site, you'll always have a recourse if there is a problem.
    Last edited by MSD; 05-12-2008 at 12:05 PM.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MSD View Post
    Discus Madness mail order fish suck, this crook sent me expensive fish that didn't entirely match what I ordered, and one had a deformed pectoral fin no less!!! His response was, I will make up for it on your next order. Well why would I order from him again if the first order sucked?? And the fact is I have no room for more fish anyway so there will be no next order, I'll work it out with my credit card company, its fraud. Buyer beware, buy at your own risk!!!!!
    MSD-Sorry to hear about your bad deal with this vendor!
    I'm extremely lucky I picked out the fish myself!
    Hope everything works out for you!
    Rob
    If you get confused... Listen to the music play-
    Jerry Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by MSD View Post
    Sounds like you got it down pat Sophie! Honestly, I get food from Mathias, but buying discus over the net from him is a bad idea. Its risky at best and bound to disappoint. Stick with sponsers from this site, you'll always have a recourse if there is a problem. Also Tony Peng at Sunrise Tropicals is reliable and honest. The rest is hit or miss.
    Hi MSD,

Yes, I agree, Tony @ Sunrise Tropicals is also a reliable seller. But my favorite is still....Kenny!!!!! I know, I have shopped everywhere!!!! He's the only one that I trust will send me a GREAT fish even if he has not seen me...I think you can get good fish from breeders IF you GO there IN PERSON...., NOT ONLINE!!!!!!
    Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by sophie68 View Post
    Hi Rob,

Well, my 2 red diamonds originally had a white face and a really red body...The face slowly lost its white color and the body became more and more orangey. Now they are both totally orangey !!!! They are both good looking fish that really grew (they are about 6 and a half ") but they are both peperring and super aggressive!!! (any link there???)
    They were red melon disguised as red diamonds!!!! Hormones, hormones....I was told not to feed them any anasthaxin (spelling???) which is impossible as it's in most foods... When I e-mailed Matthias, I got no reply....Should have called!!!!
    Do you have the same problem I do?

Sophie
    Yes I now have a orange fish/yellow face here.I've had mine 6mo.'s & highly doubt he'll get to 6+".On the bright side- the Red Melon(sold as Super Red Diamond) has no sign of peppering.I got some peppering on a Checkerboard PB-Seems to be less these days & his growth rate is good!Guess you gotta take the good with the bad-unless your dealing with Kenny,then it's all good)
    Rob
    Jerry Garcia

Yes Sophie, I agree you have to pick out your fish in person to avoid being taken advantage of, except for the sponsors on this forum like Kenny, who have amazing fish and don't rip off the consumer. And thanks for the kind words subcooler, I'll chalk it up to experience and hope I can help others avoid making the same mistake I did.
    Last edited by MSD; 09-16-2008 at 01:03 PM.
    Mark

Hi all,

I know its hard not to have discussions in threads like this, but its important that we keep the banter down......just share your experiences here with Discus Madness....good or bad as some have done here..

Instead of recommending others in this thread...I would suggest that you just take out a new thread for that seller.....or if its a sponsor...do so in their sponsor section.

The idea is to just have a review of a vendor in this section based on personal experiences.

Thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Al,
    Thanks for the advice.
    It's easy to head the wrong way in a thread!
    Rob
    Jerry Garcia

Point taken! I always get carried away!!!!!!

Sophie
    Last edited by sophie68; 05-13-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: forgot sth

I modified my post too, but we had bad experiences none the less and need to protect unsuspecting buyers from making the same mistakes we did! His food and dry goods are fine, its the fish selection from online sight unseen which is risky.
    Last edited by MSD; 05-14-2008 at 10:34 AM.
    Mark

Registered Member

Well, I just visited Discus Madness in Nj and was impressed. All the discus looked great there. I thought the pricing was fair also.

Pete

Registered Member SheTankerDiscusChick's Avatar
    Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Paris

I'm sorry to hear some of you had issues, my experience with Discus Madness was very pleasant.
    Mathias provides exceptional customer service, and resolves any questions or concerns you may have. I inquired about color and size many times, and received a prompted accurate response.
    I have ordered from discusmadness.com 3 times via Internet, a total of 9 Discus. All have arrived alive and stay alive, very healthy and happy. The color and shape of each specimen is outstanding and vibrant. Shipment is very flexible, and all items are affordable.

I will post pictures soon
    Discus=My sunshine ,
    SheTanker, the Discus chick

I buy fish from them before,No doubt fish are healthy but just a bit pricey. They have very nice Maze pegion

hendri
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast