ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: question on my discus

Registered Member

Default question on my discus

Here are a few of my discus. I was wondering if any these looks stunted to you guys. They are about 3-3.5" (I think). Also, the 2 brownish ones supposedly come from eruption parents but they still don't have very many spots. Is this normal at this size or are mine is just low quality? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: question on my discus

Im not really good with identifying stunted discus via a picture but I just have to say those "brown" discus are very pretty... def not eruptions at all but still very nice looking.

They all look like they have some growtential, so feed them well and clean water every day, they'll bloom into beautys.

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Yeah, they certainly have potential.

TLC..TLC..

Registered Member DiscusKeeper403's Avatar

They look alright, I think the one in the last photo definitley still has potential. Some of them look a little oddly shaped IMO. How often do you feed and what? How often do you do water changes?
    Take care,

Connor

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusKeeper403 View Post
    They look alright, I think the one in the last photo definitley still has potential. Some of them look a little oddly shaped IMO. How often do you feed and what? How often do you do water changes?
    I feed them 5 times a day with fbw, fbs, tetra bits, and flakes. I try to do daily water changes if I have time but if not, then at least every other day. Which ones look odd to you?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by shd17 View Post
    I feed them 5 times a day with fbw, fbs, tetra bits, and flakes. I try to do daily water changes if I have time but if not, then at least every other day. Which ones look odd to you?
    i would have to say that most of them look beaky to me. usually at such a small size they have the type of shape and grow out of it, it depends on stock quality really. if you keep with the frequent feeding and frequent WC's you should be fine unless they did not come from good stock. I agree that the last one seems to have the best potential.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I think they all have potential for a good size. The shape isn't what I would look for - like Rick said, beaky. Quality discus aren't beaky at any age.

Registered Member

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is "beaky?" Do you mean too much of a point at just the mouth? Or does it also include a triangular shaped forehead and chin?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tcyiu View Post
    Sorry for the stupid question, but what is "beaky?" Do you mean too much of a point at just the mouth? Or does it also include a triangular shaped forehead and chin?

Tim
    Both
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    I think they all have potential for a good size. The shape isn't what I would look for - like Rick said, beaky. Quality discus aren't beaky at any age.
    I think all of them have good potential too. the 4th and the 5th have the best potential and 1 - 3, it's difficult to tell because they don't have their fins fully extended, this maybe the reason why it looked beaky to some.

Tony

Registered Member

People get so accustomed to seeing high bodied domestic strains that they forget that normal-bodied fish look pretty much like yours in terms of shape.

The 2 brownish fish look like alenquers, to me, but I'm no expert. Just take good care of 'em, see what they look like when fully grown... They all look healthy, and that's the most important part of it all...

Registered Member

Is it also a case of an indented chin - so the mouth overhangs?

From the pictures, it appears that 5 has the best profile with a strong chin. Would this one still be considered "beaky?"

Tim

Registered Member

Coming back to this tread, it seems to me that the brown fish must have some snakeskin ancestry, because they have 14 bars... they just don't have a lot of color, other than brown.