AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Outage!! Now Computer Won't Turn on!

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Angry Power Outage!! Now Computer Won't Turn on!

Hey Guys ~ last night we had a power outage in the middle of the night...I don't know how long ~ I woke up at 4ish...it came back on around 5am..

But ~

My computer ( which worked fine last night ) won't stay on..boots up, goes to blue HP screen...then goes blank, with a message at the lower left side...

"cpu fan failed, service immediately, will boot off in 5 seconds"

Just Now...I was talking to two of my neighbors and THEIR computers won't turn on at all!!....after the power outage!

.......What is going on?

Please tell me this is not serious!....

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Power Outage!! Now Computer Won't Turn on!

Do you have your computer on a surge protector?

Probably, Not......just plugged into plug strip thingy....

Banned

That's what surge protectors are for .....so things don't get cooked when the power comes back on........off to the repair shop

Hopefully its only the power supply

Actually, boys...I guess I do have a surge protector! According to the images I googled, looks just like mine........

Lot of good it did

If your running Windows, as soon as it starts up, press the F8 key. That is safe mode, it should open if it isn't fried. You will not be able to go to the internet, save files and stuff, but you should be able to get in. If it opens, is is a glitch in the software, probably because of the power surge, it will be able to be fixed. If it doesn't open it's probably toast.
    B

The fan may simply have been fried. If the fan isn't being detected by the MOBO (motherboard) then there is more than likely a safety feature that prevents the computer from operating as the CPU would get too hot to run and would fail.

Open your computer case and turn on your computer. See if the fan over the CPU is spinning at all. It should start spinning within a few seconds of turning on the computer. If it doesn't spin by the time you get to the screen telling you that the cpu fan failed I suggest purchasing a new fan...that will be your cheapest place to start only $5-20. If you take the computer in they will charge you MUCH more I can guarantee that. I can help you pick out the fan you need as there are really only 4 or so options. If you know what type of processor you have (Intel or AMD) that will cut the choices down to about 2 immediately. On the case there is probably a badge that is either AMD or Intel. If you can't find that maybe you know the model number of the computer. I can look it up from there if you provide that information.

Thanks, Guys! I took the fan out and will take it in...it is only five bucks or so ~ I replaced it a long time ago...!

I hope that is what is!........I was doing some research on the error message I got...and basically what I read was "don't keep turning on the computer"

Don't forget the thermal compound! I don't like the paste that comes with the fan (if any at all)... I prefer Arctic Silver 5 as it does a MUCH better job at heat exchange.

Hi Marie,

Is your computer okay now? Let me know! I hope so! From the sound of it, it is....

Sophie

No it is NOT! I am sooooooooooooo annoyed! I can't access my bank as it says we don't recognize the computer you are using, since I am on my daughter's computer... so they give me all the "questions".......I answered 20 years ago when I opened the account!!

Like...what is your fav pet? Sophie, I put every pet in I ever had my entire life, woman! "Sorry, that is the incorrect" answer"........***?

Yesterday I went to Circuit City, Best Buy, NO ONE had this fan...then one guy told me that what I brought in was NOT the cpu fan was over the motherboard...I even googled it and the exact same fan was number 5....so he googled to prove me wrong and show me what a REAL ucp fan was, and there was mine again! But apparently, I want the one over the motherboard, and it does look different.......

They want $59 to tell me what is wrong with it and $30 bucks for the fan they don't carry and must order!

Other than that, Sophie, I am really in a great mood! Today and tomorrow is my last day working with Juvenile Sex Offenders!! I will have weekends off for once in 8 years.....!!

Quote Originally Posted by bs6749 View Post
    Don't forget the thermal compound! I don't like the paste that comes with the fan (if any at all)... I prefer Arctic Silver 5 as it does a MUCH better job at heat exchange.

Thermal Compound? Paste? Hell No!

How about a hammer??? My friend fixed my daughter's computer which was out for months....I will talk to him today and hopefully....

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit View Post
    Thermal Compound? Paste? Hell No!

How about a hammer??? My friend fixed my daughter's computer which was out for months....I will talk to him today and hopefully....
    You don't use any thermal compound?

I take it that your computer isn't fixed yet...maybe you can clear CMOS. If you look on your motherboard there may be a switch that you need to flip or maybe you have the type where you need a jumper for the pins. If you can't find that maybe you should just remove the battery that's on the MOBO. That will have the same effect if you keep the battery out for several minutes. Make sure to have the computer unplugged before messing around with this stuff though or else you run the risk of getting a shock..bzzzzzzz
    Last edited by bs6749; 05-24-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Just saw other post saying it wasn't fixed yet.

hmm....are we on the same page? The fan I popped out uses no paste ~ and pops back in and is NOT the problem....apparently!

As far as what you are talking about I so can not do that or even know what you are telling me to do.....

If my friend can not fix it then I will take it in.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast