ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Outage!! Now Computer Won't Turn on!

Default Re: Power Outage!! Now Computer Won't Turn on!

Like I said, they will charge you out the rear for this fix. Let me know what kind of CPU (Intel or AMD) you have and I can find you a fan shipped for under $20 most likely.

If you have the processor model number that should be sufficient information.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit View Post
    hmm....are we on the same page? The fan I popped out uses no paste ~ and pops back in and is NOT the problem....apparently!

As far as what you are talking about I so can not do that or even know what you are telling me to do.....

If my friend can not fix it then I will take it in.......
    If there is not paste/compounde/thermal pad on the fan that you took off, then there's a good chance the wrong fan was removed. You need to remove the "heatsink" as well which should be all one unit with the fan most likely clipped around it by a plastic square bracket. The heatsink has vented "fins" like a radiator to dissipate the heat. There should be a copper piece that makes contact with the processor itself. Between the copper piece and the processor is where there SHOULD be thermal compound, which can cool the processors down by 20 degrees Celsius or more!

Anyway, here is a link to what the heatsink and fan generally looks like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835200029

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

YES! I did remove the wrong fan...but I so do not see another fan that big in there....I could not even tell you what the motherboard looks like....

I went to your link, and that is exactly what the guy at Circuit City showed me on his computer....he said it is very difficult to get out...what do you think? Hell, I can not even find it! I was in a hurry though, and I will look again...
    Last edited by Kindredspirit; 05-24-2008 at 10:00 AM.

The motherboard is what nearly all of the components hook into, you can't miss it but you probably wouldn't even take notice it with all of the wires and such. There should be a fan and there has to be a heatsink for heat exchange. Most likely it's a fan mounted ON the heatsink. Just look for somthing similar to what I showed you...there will be only one. They "can" be difficult to remove but it's by no means difficult. There WILL be four plastic push pins mounted on a bracket that holds the heatsink/fan assembly in place on the motherboard. The pins actually go through the other side of the motherboard to keep it intact. You may have to turn each pin before pulling on it to release it from the motherboard. You will see an arrow and most likely there will be room for a flat screwdriver on each plastic pin if you have to turn the pin before pulling on it. If not, simply pulling on it should free it. If you can, place a finger on both sides of the pin and press down on the motherboard before pulling as to not bend the board. It's really easier than it sounds and isn't difficult at all to do. If you have any problems just ask.

Here's a pic that may help you: http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/..._installed.jpg

I am used to the heatsink/fan on Intel CPU's so my description may have been a little off if you have an AMD. Notice in the picture that there appear to be two metal tabs (one visible and one presumably on the other side not shown) that are holding the heatsink in place? No offense, and this isn't directed at you, but these things are made to be removed by "common sense". There really is no reason for an elaborate device to hold the component on the board and they DO fail so they will eventually need to be replaced...might as well make it fairly easy to remove, right?

Note, the cooling device on the right belongs to the "Northbridge" and should also be on your motherboard but you don't need to remove that. It should also be near to where your heatsink/fan assembly is to give you a better idea of where to look. Hope that helps.

Hi Marie,

How is your PC doing????? I hope your friend can help you!!!!
    Keep me posted!

Sophie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12