ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heaters

Smile Re: Heaters

I use the Rena smart heaters as well in my garage tanks and in my 210 gallon, they work very well. I just started using the Ebo Jager heaters with great results so far, both have indicator lights to tell if they are on or not. I only had one Rena go crazy on me, kept on turning on and off irradically. I know they flash if the set temp drops and they flash fast if the temp gets to hot but this thing looked like it was shorting out or something. Anyway, I just took it down to my LPS and got it replaced for free.

Default Re: Heaters

Finally sent in the 5 defective stealth 250 in on Oct 1. As of today I have not got the replacements. I called the other day and they said that all were sent to testing. The lady I talked to wanted to know why that many of them went out and I told her I was wondering the same thing. Some of them would still heat but not reliably. I told her I had to much invested in the fish to have a heater I could not rely on. Hopefully the newer ones will be better but i seem to doubt it. They will probably be put into storage barrels instead of tanks. Thats all for my rant now......

Registered Member

Lucky for me I still have the old school ebo-jagers in all 18 of my tanks and not a one has failed or given me any problems. (knock on wood) I was curious as to how the new ones are since Ehiem bought them out? I hear the glass is not as thick, wonder how well they heat?

Thumbs up Re: Heaters

I use Ebo-Jagers from Jehmco, the 250 watt ones. I just ordered 5 of Jehmco's submersible heaters, there's no name on them but they are 300 watt heaters. The Ebo-Jagers work very well and have a light to tell you wether it's on or off.
    Best Regards,
    John Rowedder
    www.backyarddiscusllc.com

ebo's are the way to go!but Ive also had luck with visa therms

I used the new ebos when they first came out and I felt they were a little off on the temp but when you get the temp right, they stick to it and fully dependable. The construction is a heavier build than the other heaters I've used. I used the stealth heaters and rena heaters but the ebo definitely seems more durable. I never had the old ebos so I am not sure how thick the glass was on them but the new ones seem super thick. Won't change to another brand as of now.

Real Name
    Francis

My Stealth heaters won't heat up the required temperature these days.....now changing them to Ebo heaters.

Cheers
    Francis

Registered Member

visa therm stealth heaters are awesome

Registered Member Peachtree Discus's Avatar

my local petsmart takes back any failed equipment for in-store credit....so i stay with them. i use stealths for my fish tanks and pro-fin (cheapos) for heated water storage. even i have had stealths to fail or gradually lose heating ability. just return and get a new 1. i will try a rena upon next failure. the pro-fins are supposed to be lifetime guarantee
    Wes (FishFlakes)
    "Lifes a game but its not fair, I break the rules so I dont care,
    ...so I keep doin my own thing - walkin tall against the rain"

I just got the replacements for the 5 stealth heaters I sent in and they sent me 5 visitherm deluxe heaters instead of stealths...

marielou20

I have been using Ebo Jagger since years; very satisfied with those heaters...

No heaters are 100% reliable. It is more expensive, but get a temperature controller from Jehmco and problem solved. Piece of mind doesn't come cheap, but I have temp controllers for both of my main tanks. For my water storage I use a 200w ebo jager; it keeps the temperature pretty darn close.

Just my two cents...
    Chaz

Registered Member Peachtree Discus's Avatar

....get a temperature controller...
    interesting. can these temp controllers run multiple heaters? max of 2?
    Wes (FishFlakes)
    "Lifes a game but its not fair, I break the rules so I dont care,
    ...so I keep doin my own thing - walkin tall against the rain"

Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    I also had a 50% failure right out of the box rate on the stealths--I'm over that nonsense. I got a couple of the ETH in line Hydor heaters 300W and they are PERFECT and keep the water exactly where I set it all the time. First heaters I have ever had that feel this reliable. --got the first ones maybe a year ago and am now slowly replacing the rest of my heaters with the hydors--you need to have a canister filter to use it,of course. THey are more expensive than the usual fair by 15-20 bux.
    Best regards
    Harriett
    I agree, got the Hydor ETH 300W inline over 2 years now. It's still keeping perfect temperature, with an occasional variance of 0.2 degrees, tops. I love this heater. Even though its a bit more expensive it is worth every penny spent.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusMaker View Post
    interesting. can these temp controllers run multiple heaters? max of 2?
    You can run as many heaters as the controller is designed for.

Some are designed for 800 watts, some 1000 watts. I use 800w rated controllers for my two tanks but I only have two 250w heaters plugged into each.

Call Jehmco.com...the guy there knows a lot about it. They are pricey though, so I wouldn't use them for anything but discus or 6+ year old clown loaches (or other fish that are individually more expensive than heater+controller combined, which would be about minimum $100).

...or if you are fed up with faulty heaters...
    Chaz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast