AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WHITE WORM CULTURES!

Real Name
    Mike

Default WHITE WORM CULTURES!

Ok, I'm moving across state and I have some very large cultures of white worms growing right now. I cannot keep them through the move so instead of just throwing them out, I would like to offer up some nice sized cultures that will easily be producing within a couple weeks for sale. I would normally send them out for free but I figured this would be a good way to donate to simply. I have seen companies charging 20-30$ for three spoon fulls which would take you a while to create your own culture. I will be sending you plenty (a handful +/-) and this is loaded with white worms. I can send out around 10-12 cultures to those who are interested and you will directly send payment to Al @ simply (100% proceeds go to simply). You will only need one culture per person (plenty). PM and post here and I will keep a first come first served list. As soon as payment is made to Al, I will send it out. Dont pay unless you have a confirmed sell by me since I have limited numbers. I may be able to stretch out the number of cultures depending on how much interest since they are in full reproduction right now. Donation is $13 to Al at Simply for each culture ( I have picked up each person's shipping costs).
    By the way, PM me your full name and address.

So far, I have these lined up.
    Al (brewmaster15) -1 (sent 27 may)PAID and Thanks!! DOA 1st time - Second time is a charm!!!
    Joe (joe98ss) - 1 (sent 27 may) $13 donation PAID and Thanks!! Made it alive!!
    Mat (shinshin) - 1 (sent 28 may) $13 donation PAID and Thanks!! (Made it and some still alive!!)
    Ted (tedsdiscus) - 1 (sent 28 may) $13 donation PAID and Thanks!! Made it alive!!
    Dottie (korbi doc) - 1 (sent 27 may) $13 donation PAID and Thanks!! (Made it and some still alive!!)
    Linn (discuslover2) - 1 (sent 28 may) $13 donationPAID and Thanks!! DOA
    Tae (lazyreefer) - 1 (sent 27 may) $13 donation PAID and Thanks!! Made it alive!!
    Dan (elite aquaria) - 1 (sent 27 may) $13 donation PAID and Thanks!! Made it alive!!
    Ed (turok) - 1 (sent 28 may) $13 donation PAID and Thanks!! (Made it alive!!)
    Jose (phidelt) - 1 (sent 28 may) $13 donation due (some made it alive!!)
    (rickmay1) - 1 (sent 29 may) $13 donation PAID and Thanks!! Made it Alive!!
    They were sent priority USPS. Let me know how they all arrive. I cant guarantee live arrival but I'm sure they will be fine. They are nicely packed, moist and should make it within a couple days. These starter cultures are larger than what I started with and I thought I started with a pretty large culture. We can thank Joe (squiggy) because he is the one who started me with the white worms.
    Last edited by White Worm; 06-06-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: WHITE WORM CULTURES!

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG
    The white things that arent worms are just the empty quaker oat casings. They will eat those too but I guess they like the insides better, lol (I just fed them a bunch 2 days ago so they just arent finished yet). You can see them on the sides of the container and stuck to the piece of glass. What you cant see is that the soil is packed with them but they dont like light so they bury as soon as you open the container. In the 2nd photo, you can see that I have removed one culture and it is nicely packaged and awaiting its trip to Al.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mikscus View Post
    DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG
    The white things that arent worms are just the empty quaker oat casings. They will eat those too but I guess they like the insides better, lol (I just fed them a bunch 2 days ago so they just arent finished yet). You can see them on the sides of the container and stuck to the piece of glass. What you cant see is that the soil is packed with them but they dont like light so they bury as soon as you open the container. In the 2nd photo, you can see that I have removed one culture and it is nicely packaged and awaiting its trip to Al.
    Please sign me up for 1 also!
    thanks
    Tae

Real Name
    Mike

Al, could you please edit when each has made their $13 donation, thanks. By the way, please donate $13 to yourself Al, lol.
    Last edited by White Worm; 05-28-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Put me down for one as well.

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

PM'd you Mike ... Al, I'll bring some cash with me on 6/14!

Real Name
    Mike

Jeffrey Richard, if you are visiting Al in 2 weeks, he will be able to provide you a starter culture since his will surely be producing by then. He could probably make 2 or 3 from what I sent him

Thats it for now. Thanks for all the support and now Al will have a few dollars to keep simplydiscus rollin'.

You all will have donated $130 and I took care of the $40 in shipping costs.

Its the least I can do for the years of assistance I have received from this site.

Dont be surprised if I call one of you up after I get where I'm going and need a WHITE WORM culture.
    Last edited by White Worm; 05-28-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

What I would do when I receive the culture....
    Add a thin layer of new potting soil to the bottom of a plastic shoebox....
    add the culture on top of the soil but keep it more towards the center....
    sprinkle some food on the culture and give it all a couple mist sprays from a spray bottle of water....
    cover all of that with clean potting soil, spraying mist as you go to make sure all is moist but not soggy or drippy....
    fill the plastic shoebox to a little more than half way, cover and place in the frdge at about 55-60f....
    You could probably split the culture into 2 with the amount you will get.....
    In a couple days, just sprinkle some food on top of the soil, light mist and cover....
    How fast and how much you feed them depends on how much is gone when you check them every couple days.....
    At warmer temps, they will produce but not as much but then you run the chance of getting bugs......Flys.
    Too dry means dead worms...same with too wet.....
    When they try to get out of the container, you need to shrink their numbers by feeding a bunch to fish or spliting your culture into another new one.
    These are just some ideas for those who have never done it before.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

...So when they start oozing out of the fridge, you will know you are doing well with the culture?

oh. Mike....!

Registered Member

quick question, do i need to place it in the fridge? my wife is going to go bananas if I do . I have a closet that stays fairly cool 60s to 70s would that be good enough?

Also can I use top soil instead of potting soil? (the bag says organic compost)

Thanks!

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit View Post
    ...So when they start oozing out of the fridge, you will know you are doing well with the culture?

oh. Mike....!
    lol, there are ways to keep them in their container. You can use sealed tupperware, drill holes in the top and fill the holes with foam....Air in and out, worms stay in. The only reason they try to escape is because they need somethiing you are not giving them or there are just too many of them.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by lazyreefer View Post
    quick question, do i need to place it in the fridge? my wife is going to go bananas if I do . I have a closet that stays fairly cool 60s to 70s would that be good enough?

Also can I use top soil instead of potting soil? (the bag says organic compost)

Thanks!
    They do much better at temps between 55-60f. They may be fine at warmer temps, they just wont multiply as fast. You will have to do your own experiment. I found that they thrive at temps under 65 and will go into hybernation around the 70's. I went and purchased myself a mini fridge at walmart just for my cultures because my wife would not even think about letting me put them in the regular fridge. I set the mini fridge on the lowest setting and they seemed to do great. You can use any soil as long as it doesnt have additives.

Mike,
    This was awesome ...Thanks so much! I've been swamped the last few days and hadn't checked my email or logged in... so when I checked my email today and had received a few paypal donations I thought to myself... "Wow... This is like a record for donations in."..and then I thought..."Hmm thats odd... a couple of 13 dollar ones? thats weird."Now all is crystal clear....so thank you all for the donation and a very special thanks again to Mike.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Mike

Those of you who may not have paid yet, hold off. Al got his and they must have put them in an oven on the way. They should have never cooked in only two days. Sorry Al. Al has let me know that he will kindly refund the money paid. I appologize if there was something else I could have done. I thought they would be fine. I did keep a small sample with me and if this does happen to everyone, I will make it up.

Mike Like I said in the Pm...I really appreciate the thought here with the donations.....means more than the actual dollars involved..

If anyone has any problems... I will gladly refund their money.....hopefully mine were the exception....and everyones are fine..

Seriously though, I do thank all that participated and I really appreciate the consideration by Mike on the donation in the first place.

Thanks!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast