AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/31/08 no pics, just update

Default 5/31/08 no pics, just update

Hi everyone. I didn't take pics this time. Seems nothing is going on w/them except light eating. It kinda bothers me because the fish i got from Dan r eating like no tomorrow. They r approximately the same age. Why did these guys go from eating everything to leaving food in the tank and i have to scoop it out. Dans fish, on the other hand, I have to feed double what i feed the alenqers. Any suggestions????
    The filtration on the alenqer tank is different tho. I have 2 sponges and an aquaclear110 in the other tank and the challange fish have a sponge and a fluval and i just added a aquaclear 20 filter i had laying around. I don't want to buy another filter because i am setting up my 150 gal w/sump. I have to admit tho, i have been slacking on w/c's. I am having foot probs so i save my foot for work. When i get home, i can barely walk. Oh, and don't think my 15 yr old wants to help... so saaadddd
    Last edited by alxjss; 05-31-2008 at 08:09 AM.
    Eileen

Default Re: 5/31/08 no pics, just update

Hi Eileen! Sorry to hear about your foot. It does sound like something is bothering your discsus, or maybe they are just tired of growing lol. Have you changed anything recently? I would check the water perameters to start with, just to rule that out.

Adrian
    Phillipians 4:4-7

Hi Adrian, nothing has changed except the w/c's. The parms r good. Trates r at 2 but go down when i do the w/c. I can manage 2 xs a wk but i KNOW i must do it more. But, like i said, the other ones get the same treatment and they still eat crazy. They still r skittish a bit because they r in a diff rm but i do visit as much as possible. I am gonna try to do more w/c's and then on the weekend, clean the tank. The tank does get pretty funky tho...
    Eileen

Hi Eileen,
    Are there more fish in one tank than the other?
    How many in each and whats the tank sizes again?
    -al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hi Al. The challagers (6) r in a 55 gal w/ a fluval 404, a sponge big enough for a 125gal, and a aquaclear 20. Again, w/c's r lacking.
    There r 7 in a 40gal breeder that r from dan, which I have 2 sponges, enough for a 60 gal, and an aquaclear 110. Again, the same w/c as the 55 gal. But, i did have 3 plecos in w/ the alenqurs, but they dissappeared one day a while back. They r definately not eating well because i did a major clean today, waited until they were out and about, fed fbw's, and ate only about half, which took a long time for that. I watched them and they seem interested but not attacking like my others!!!! Something is wrong and i must say its my fault because of the w/c's They caught something but not sure what. They r more skittish then normal also.
    Keep in mind, i will not treat unless advised. Don't want to make them worse.
    I was having heater probs a while ago, but now is stable. Goes to 84.5 and the lowest is 83. Is that ok? I need help i am sure. Thanks Al.
    Last edited by alxjss; 05-31-2008 at 04:11 PM.
    Eileen

Well, i just did another feeding. All race to the food, take a couple of bites and thats that. All the food sits there. I leave it in for about an hr, then i have to net the left overs, which r plenty. They fool me cause i think they r hungry. They greet me, beg for the food, but only eat just alittle bit. Man, what happened?????
    Eileen

Eileen,
    I don't think anythings wrong at all. AS a discus grows their appetite can change.......Juvies eat like pigs... young adults less so.....and adults 1-2 times a day feedings are pretty average..... Karens noticed similar issues with hers ... I think you'll see some developmental changes starting... bulking up, coloration and fin size.... as for the foods... take note of what they like best.... even that can change as they get older. Be sure that they aren't "not eating" and that really what is happening is that they are eating less and becoming more selective in what they eat.

I would bring the temp up though ....see if you can get it to 86-87F..that may increase the appetite.

One thing to note....
    6 fish in a 55 and 7 in a 40 is alot different... When you have more fish in a smaller tank...theres more competition for the food in a smaller area... and less space between the fish eating..... A fish in that situation has to eat fast and furious or get left out... That may be part of what you see when you are looking at the two groups.. Additionally... comparing two different strains of fish growth is like comparing apples and oranges....

last note...look back over anything you have been doing different...have you gotten busy and changed anything as result.?

I guess , in closing... be patient. and don't forget to enjoy the fish

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Eileen,
    I don't think anythings wrong at all. AS a discus grows their appetite can change.......Juvies eat like pigs... young adults less so.....and adults 1-2 times a day feedings are pretty average..... Karens noticed similar issues with hers ... I think you'll see some developmental changes starting... bulking up, coloration and fin size.... as for the foods... take note of what they like best.... even that can change as they get older. Be sure that they aren't "not eating" and that really what is happening is that they are eating less and becoming more selective in what they eat.

I would bring the temp up though ....see if you can get it to 86-87F..that may increase the appetite.

One thing to note....
    6 fish in a 55 and 7 in a 40 is alot different... When you have more fish in a smaller tank...theres more competition for the food in a smaller area... and less space between the fish eating..... A fish in that situation has to eat fast and furious or get left out... That may be part of what you see when you are looking at the two groups.. Additionally... comparing two different strains of fish growth is like comparing apples and oranges....

last note...look back over anything you have been doing different...have you gotten busy and changed anything as result.?

I guess , in closing... be patient. and don't forget to enjoy the fish

-al
    Al, i have been observing the challengers, and I came to the same conclusion. I didn't realize different strains were actually "different". I thought a discus was a discus reguardless of the strain.
    I am very glad that things r good. I am doing more w/c's, even w/ the pain in my foot. The days when it isn't soooo bad, i can manage. I tend to be a BIG BABY @ times when it comes to pain so i need to tuff it up.
    THANKS AL, i really appreciate the feedback. I will enjoy my fish!!!!
    Eileen

Eileen,

First get that foot sorted out! Then worry about the fish I think Al has it right about the eating too. Good luck.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Eileen,

First get that foot sorted out! Then worry about the fish I think Al has it right about the eating too. Good luck.
    Hi Paul.... I am seeing a podiatrist now but it takes time. I have several issues so he is taking one at a time. I want it fixed ''yesterday''
    I have stopped feeding tbits to all for now. They seem to take a long time to eat so I gave them a break for a while. Nice to hear from u Paul
    Eileen

Registered Member

Hi Eileen,

Hope all gets better for you soon.

I definetly would fix my health issues before my pets although careful not to neglect them.

You are doing a fantastic job. Discus will get off the heavy eating as they get older & appearance will start changing as already stated.

I have many different types & some of the sub-adults are starting to display this. LSS's, BD's, WB's, SM's, MB's just naming some. Changes I have made to some tanks, were reduced feedings or less feed 1-2times daily & w/c's 1-2week.

The key is knowing 'your' Discus i.e. how they react too foods, w/c's, when they look 'happy' - how to keep them happy & its not necessary, just by feed.

Regards Armandi
    Is there an antibiotic for aquarists!

Unhappy 6/12/08

Hi all. I no we concluded nothing was wrong, but the more i look the more i am convinced there is something wrong. They r just not eating normal. No matter what i feed I wind up taking out the food. Both my tanks, eat crazy. I can't get them to eat all of the food. Its hard to explain, but i try to watch them and they hide and don't eat. I will watch them from another room, and they just don't have the umph the others do. They don't even fight over anything. What could be happening? I am really concerned because w/o eating, they won't grow and w/o growth, I don't win. Can anyone come up w/ something? Is anyone else having these problems? I don't no what to do. I even turned the temp up but NOT!!!
    Eileen

Default Re: 6/12/08

Eileen,
    My advice....Try skipping feeding them for a day...yes you read that right...No food for a day or two... at their size ...they'll be fine not eating for a day or two.... Then feed them something like Hikari Blood worms...and see what happens..

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Whens the last time they ate alxjss?

They eat alittle each night, but nothing like my other ones. They attack the food. My alenqers pick and i have to remove what is left. In my other tanks, nothing is left to remove but poop
    Eileen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast