ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/31/08 no pics, just update

Default Re: 6/12/08

Here r some pics. U can't see anything too bad but check out the one w/the black face. Real weird

That guy w/the black face has a real light body. Can't really tell in the pic. The other side of his face is normal
    ps, don't laugh @ my backround. I am working on it!!!
    Last edited by alxjss; 06-14-2008 at 05:40 AM.
    Eileen

Eileen,
    The one with the dark face... one side only.. that should pass..you mentioned the fish are skittish.. "blackened "areas like that are what often happens when a fish crashes into something.

Somethings definetly making them skittish. From your last thread you mentioned that they were skittish
    They still r skittish a bit because they r in a diff rm but i do visit as much as possible. I am gonna try to do more w/c's and then on the weekend, clean the tank. The tank does get pretty funky tho...
    If you are working alot and slacking on the wcs ( which means you probably aren't in there as much)..That may help explain the skittishness.. It may have to do with the tank position, room traffic or lack thereof and lighting...

Healthwise...they have no sign of disease...no off colored feces , nothing but stress and appetite changes.. Usually these things come from tank conditions, water quality, lighting and tank position.
    Are the challenger fish in the same room as the two other tanks that you are comparing them to?

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hi Al. I sent u a pm. One fish died. I discovered him this morn when i turned on the light. The biggest one, "al" is acting funny too. I have neglected these guys because of some med probs. Anything could be wrong.
    Eileen

Eileen...I notice there is no prefilter sponge on the uptake. You might have food waste sitting in the filter. Clean out the filter and get a prefilter sponge on there. As much as we feed em, it doesn't take to much for extra food to get sucked up into the filter. You might have a high phosphate and nitrate issue that has curbed their appetite.
    Mark

Exclamation 1 dead and 1 on the way

I went in the fish rm this morn and noticed something real strange about one of the challanger fish. He seemed way off color and when i looked close, he wasn't breathing. I removed him and noticed the biggest one Sabetta acting strange. I quickly set up a 10 gal and transferred him. This is what is happening. I don't no right now if he is still alive. I haven't been in there for about 5min. Here r some pics.

Without thought, i added maracyn 1&2. Then i added epsom salt. 2 tbsp / gal. I have held him straight, moved him back and forth to try and keep him breathing. Its a waiting game now.
    Last edited by alxjss; 06-14-2008 at 09:30 AM.
    Eileen

Default Re: 5/31/08 no pics, just update

Eileen,
    That fish is bloated... either he ate too much or has a bacterial infection..

look close at the rest of the challenger fish...are they at all swollen in the abdomen.?

-al

ps...I merged all these threads
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

No other fish r bloated, but i have that one w/the black face on one side and real light, almost beige color bkrd w/ the dark stripes. I also see black feces. Only one tho. Didnot feed, and turnd off the lights.
    Last edited by alxjss; 06-14-2008 at 10:45 AM.
    Eileen

Well, Sabetta died @ 10:40 somthing. Oh I have NEVER had this prob. This is overwhelming.....
    Eileen

here they r....

The others r in the tank now. I plan on removing some of the water and maybe give them a dose of epsom salt. 2 tbsp/gal. I will try that. They r in darkness now, trying to keep them calm.
    Eileen

Hi Eileen, I'm so sad that you are having problems, I know how heartbreaking losing even one is let along two. Are you keeping a journal of some sort? When I look back at your posts, it seems you noticed something different with them around 5/13. 5/7 they seemed fine and the pictures of them are fine. During that time you began to have heater problems. You said the tank was getting too warm and you had to turn one off. How warm was it? I know bacteria really thrive at elevated temperatures. I also know you were feeding live cbw, which you said you stopped sometime before your 5/15 posting. I don't know much about cbw except I'm afraid that my discus would eventually get a bad one and get sick. And I'm just throwing this out there for everyone to think about. Is it possible that with a period of elevated temperature in that tank, that some kind of bacteria that the cbw carries could become intestinally dangerous to the fish? Or even multiply at such a rapid rate where normally the fish could handle it, but with a rapid multiplication of it they would get sick internally? A bit of a food poisoning of the fish kind of thing? Even if you slacked off on the water changes down to 2 a week, it wouldn't kill them like this. Do you check the nitrate level right before a water change (on this 2X a week schedule) just to see what it is? And isn't the other tank on the same water change schedule and same food? I'm hoping someone can recommend a med for internal bacterial infection that you can try. Chin up hon, my fingers are crossed for you that this thing gets solved.
    Debbi

Breeding Sterbai Cories and Long Fin L144 Bristlenose Plecos

I did try some fbh from my lfs around this time. Its hard to put my hands on it. I have no clue as to what is going on. I think i will loose one more too. The one w/the dark face.....
    Eileen

I just did a 60% w/c. Lights out all day. Have it pretty dark in the main tank. There r 4 left. My 2 biggest ones didn't make it. I will be monoriting these guys often to check on their health and behavior. I will keep u posted. Thanks for all the support
    Eileen

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Eileen, l am very sorry to read that you are having these problems. Trust me when l say that l feel your pain.
    I hope that you can work out what the problem is soon.
    I wish that l can offer you some suggestions, as this sounds a bit familuar to my saga.
    Most importantly though. Look after yourself first.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Yes Joe, i no u can feel my pain. Thanks for the kind words, ur a sweetheart!
    Eileen

Oh man, I just saw this thread. I am so sorry!!! I do hope you find out what caused your loss. My thoughts are with you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast