ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 150 gallon almost there!!!

Default Re: 150 gallon almost there!!!

Your son is a smart boy, pushing you to the titanium heaters. You will be glad you did. I have a 500w heater in the sump that I pulled out of the tank. It is way over kill in my situation. The heater just has to heat the water in the sump, a lot smaller space than the main tank so is very efficient. The pump cycles the water back into and thru the main tank pretty quick and doesn't cool much before returning to the sump to be heated again. I think you will find you need less heater than having them in the main tank. With the overflow in the center of the tank I think I would use two return hoses one on each end of the tank to get best circulation preventing cold spots or dead areas.
    The 3/16 inch glass I don't have to be near as careful with and I can close it on a fill hose or siphon hose, it has the weight to hold the hose in place. Darn I hate it when a hose slips out from under the glass.
    You are going to have a dream tank Eileen, best of luck. Bill

Cool on the heater thing. I don't no what u mean when u say 2 hoses. I only have one on the tank. How would u put another one in? I don't want anything in the back of the tank. It is against the wall w/o room for anything in the back. Is there another way to do this? Maybe a spraybar or something?
    Eileen

I'm sure what you have planned will be perfect. What I was thinking is you have the drain at the back center of the tank for the water to go down to the sump and then a pump and hose to return the water back up to the tank. You could have two return lines or one return line with a spray bar. I was just wondering if you would get good circulation through the entire tank. I'm sure you will. Anxious to see your fish enjoying your new tank.

Well Bill, i don't no about perfect, but it would be nice, thats for sure. I was thinking about 2 500 watt heaters, don't forget these come w/controllers also. I am worried they may be too much., what do u think?
    Eileen

Registered Member

I think 2 500 watt heaters is overkill, Eileen. I heat my 180g with a 600 watts of heat total. A 300 watt titanium like you have described, and a 300 watt hydor inline. Works just fine.
    Best regards
    Harriett

My first thought was 1000 watts was high, like Harriet. But if you concider the "General rule is to have three to five watts per gallon for every 10 deg F above room temperature that you wish to have the tank water temperature."

So if you want your tank 86 and your room 68 and you use an average 4 watts and 150 gal tank, you could calculate,
    86 - 68 = temp / 10 x 150 x 4 = 1080 watts.

You will have to substitute your tank temp and room temp and aquarium size for different situations. You could be pretty close Eileen, you may be a genius.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/images/smilies/smile.gif Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    My first thought was 1000 watts was high, like Harriet. But if you concider the "General rule is to have three to five watts per gallon for every 10 deg F above room temperature that you wish to have the tank water temperature."

So if you want your tank 86 and your room 68 and you use an average 4 watts and 150 gal tank, you could calculate,
    86 - 68 = temp / 10 x 150 x 4 = 1080 watts.

You will have to substitute your tank temp and room temp and aquarium size for different situations. You could be pretty close Eileen, you may be a genius.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/images/smilies/smile.gif Bill
    MAN, i wish i was a genius. I figured the higher the better and using a controller, can't go wrong. But, i finally got my heaters. I bought a 500wt titanium and a 250 watt ebo jager. Recommondations from Jehmco
    Eileen

Now, i am waiting for my tank to reach the 86 deg mark. I have 5 adults, and 7 semi adults i plan on putting in this tank. My plan is to get the temp up to 86, do a 80-90% w/c then place the fish in the tank. They r separate now so i want to put them in together. ? is, do i put the semi adults in first before the adults or does it matter? I really need help here please
    Eileen

I finally did it. They r all in the tank.I did a 75%w/c, pumped the water in from both tanks, took all the filters and ran in the tank. This is just a temp thing, i do have the sump. I wanted instant cycle. I will run all the filters for 24hrs, just to be sure. They seem pretty happy. Were alittle confused but doing good now. They all took to ea. other great, even the challange fish. They ate dinner and now lights off till tomorrow. I am sooo happy.
    One ? tho. How do i do a w/c w a sump? I will have to turn it off right? I don't know. Any answers would be appreciated.

Eileen

wow congratulations on finally setting it up... looks great! Are your fish red melons, blue diamonds and turqs? Any ways they look great keep up the good work
    nicole

Eileen,

They are looking great! So much space. Those red melon looks so familiar...

Van

Quote Originally Posted by *Polka dots roc* View Post
    wow congratulations on finally setting it up... looks great! Are your fish red melons, blue diamonds and turqs? Any ways they look great keep up the good work
    Thanks. It took a while w/finances and lack of knowledge, but yes its up and running and they love it. They swim back and forth it packs. Its funny. They will all be on one side of the tank, one fish starts to go and the others follow. Yes, they r red melons, one blue diamond, some solids and one turk. I got the red melons from Dan @ Elite Aquaria by auction. Dan is the best. He still pm's me to inquire how things r doing. The best...

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post
    Eileen,

They are looking great! So much space. Those red melon looks so familiar...

Van
    Hi van. How r urs doing? Mine r pretty big. I have 4 that r more than 5" right now. The otheres r alittle small, but not done growing yet
    Eileen

Hi van. How r urs doing? Mine r pretty big. I have 4 that r more than 5" right now. The otheres r alittle small, but not done growing yet
    Mine are doing great as well. They are in a similiar situation, some grow more than others. I don't have the luxury of giving a 150gal size tank. They are going to end up in my new 75gal in about 2 weeks. Doesn't the discus look better because you had raised them from little juvie? I know that's the case for me.

With the new 150, it's time to get more to grow out with the old tanks

Nope... not now. I don't have the room. My utilities r sky high. I now have 14 discus and that will do for now. I have 8 cories, one clown loach and 8 bn's. I want cardnials also, about 100 of them so... that being said no more for now...
    Eileen

Registered Member

Hi Eileen,

An extremely well put together project.

It will help you tremendously with the sump as the water param's will remain low compared to single set up tanks.

Wish you all the best with it.

Regards Armandi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast