ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/15/08, healing stage...

Default 6/15/08, healing stage...

Well, there r 4 left. I am gonna start treatment w/metro. These guys rn't eating either. I don't no what else to do and what caused this prob. I will be cleaning out the fluval and put them in qt for a while. I will be draining the tank and leaving only maybe 20 gal in there so i can treat them w/o spending all kinds of $. Wish me luck,, here goes.
    Eileen

Default Re: 6/15/08, healing stage...

Oh Eileen -
    I'm so sorry to hear things aren't going so well, I hope they turn around for you. In watching and reading about you all raising up these wilds, it certainly does show me that they are touchier fish than the domestics.
    I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you -
    BSW

thank u bsw. I plan on draining the 55gal, thats what they r currently in, and only filling up 20 gals so i can medicate. I don't have a bigger qt tank, only a 5gal and a 10. I am removing the fluval, since there won't be enough water in the tank and turn the temp up to 90 and treat w/metro or kenamyacyn. I am not sure which yet. Waiting to hear. Will keep u posted. thanks for everything u guys r great....
    Eileen

Well, the transition is done. I lost another one today. Thats 3 left. I am treating w/kenamycin as we speak. Hopefully, they r on their way to recovery. I also overfilled my other tank so i am batting a 000000!
    Eileen

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Hang in there Eileen and keep us posted.
    Scott

Registered Member noshow discus's Avatar

I feel your pain but you showed me how to post pics so i am guessing you can turn this around too.

alsjss,

Sometimes local water compaines will clean there system out with a flush. In Northern VA our water comes out with a very strong clorine smell and light blue(I kid you not) and you can really see the blue color when filling a tub. I did see your thread a few days ago and was wondering what had changed in your system. Your using metro now I assume. I had fish come in from a SD sponser that were abused by Fed Ex. Some of the fish had less than an inch of water. One DOA. All stressed that lived. I dread getting fish this way and dread even more having to throw them in my central. Hex hit all my fish,two were hockey pucks. The thing is they are all comming back. Metro double dose at every eight hour and one WC per 24. MY temp is now 92 and any fish that was infected are pooing white stuff and looking more entergetic. Do you RO your water/carbon filter? The only thing that I have seen that can kill that fast is toxicity. If I can help you in any way please advise. Most Sincerely, Ed Most P.S. The seller I used did more than I expected and gave me fish to reimburst me even on fish that were still alive.

Hi Ed,

. The thing is they are all comming back. Metro double dose at every eight hour and one WC per 24. MY temp is now 92 and any fish that was infected are pooing white stuff and looking more entergetic.
    Sorry to hear about your issues Just a comment.. If you have alot of fish passing white feces like that simulataneously in a tank or especially multiple tanks...often times the problem is a bacterial infection of the digestive tract... and although high and frequent doses of metronidazole may have a beneficial effect there... Kanamycin may deal with the issue more quickly...

If you run into persistence here with that issue...try Kanamycin sulfate.. Drop me a pm if I can help.

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Will do, tanks Al..

ok, i dread telling this but i no what killed my discus. ME.... One day, i turned off the filter to feed and i didn't turn it on until the next nite after feeding. \
    Well, it smelled funky. I panicked and instead of stopping the fluval i kept it running and started emptying my tank at the same time filling it. I thought i flushed it out good enough, but i guess i didn't. How could i be so stupid. Wow..... I am treating now w/ Kanamycin and they seem to be doing better. Swimming more than they were. I am so sorry Al for this. I hope u can forgive my stupidity. It will never happen again, i can promise u that.
    I took the fluval down this morning and sterilized it. I will start it up on a diff tank to get it reseeded. Any opinions on this?
    P.S. I remembered all about that filter thing this morn. Sorry i didn't say anything sooner. So, all of u newbies out there, be careful and double check everything before u go to bed or leave somewhere, etc....
    Eileen

Happens to the best of us(and worst). Hang in there.

Al,

First off pictures of the BBQ plz. Thx for the info. Diet is mainly a turkey heart mix. In the mix is raw shrimp,powered dry liver,powdered bone meal,powdered spirlina, powerded mulit vitamins,metamucail,iron caps,branch chain aminios,flake food, *taps keyboard* may be one other minor ingredient. also feed harkairi froz BWs and froz BS. Ed

Elieen -
    I think everyone has done something like that sooner or later. I had Angelfish before Discus, and I did it by not plugging the heater back in after water change once, and of course in the winter (in Utah) and the tanks were in the garage at the time, I woke up to 40 degree water, some of the fish didn't recover.
    It happens, were human............
    I hope the rest pull through o.k.
    BSW

thanks for the support BSW. If i don't feel like an a$$, no body does. Well, i can't dwell on the stupid things i do, i just learn from it. unfortunately, the discus paid for it. I was on a roll too. I have had discus since May 7th, 2007and before this disaster, i only lost one because of some fluke that i still don't no what it was that killed him. Now this. Hopefully i won't loose anymore only from old age
    Eileen

The 3 that r left r still alive. I am about to do a w/c and redose. Hopefully, they will be fine once the meds kick in, which they probably already have, but must do a w/c and redose. Half the dose since its a 20 gal tank.
    Eileen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast