ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA - Alabama

Default USA - Alabama

Hi all,
    If you want to be found by other hobbyists in your area you can list yourself and contact info here....This section will be state by state for the USA. If you want to start a thread please check to see if its already started ... If you start a Location Thread.. please follow the standard of Country First, then state or province etc.

Thanks,

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: USA- Alabama

Liz Streithorst
    11334 Thomas Rd
    Theodore AL 36582.

I raise Discus and Koi Angels.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Liz, are you still around?

Yes and no. I've moved to Mississippi and although I still have Discus and Angels I am not doing any breeding.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

"I still have Discus and Angels I am not doing any breeding. " I hate to hear that for both you and the fish.....

-john

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    "I still have Discus and Angels I am not doing any breeding. " I hate to hear that for both you and the fish.....

-john
    I hope that it's just a temporary situation, John. As soon as I have the money I want to build a fish house. It won't be for a bit yet, though.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Names Skyler. I live in Anniston Al. I am looking for breeders or anyone thats even close to Anniston. You can get in touch with me REAL fast by email to snakehuntr_007@yahoo.com or you can post back here! Thanks a ton

Skyler

Quote Originally Posted by Skillet_007 View Post
    Names Skyler. I live in Anniston Al. I am looking for breeders or anyone thats even close to Anniston. You can get in touch with me REAL fast by email to snakehuntr_007@yahoo.com or you can post back here! Thanks a ton

Skyler

How far is Atlanta? There are listings under "hobby breeders" in Atlanta.

Registered Member

I live in Birmingham, Alabama. Any other discus addicts near me?

Real Name
    Lindsay

Although it looks like someone only posts to this thread approximately every 3 years, I am optimistic. So: calling all discus enthusiasts in Alabama! A month from now we won't have anymore football worth watching, so it's time to find discus friends in the area. Anybody out there?

I live in Tupelo, MS. NY, TX and CA have so many sd members, we need a Bible belt group that covers from S Carolina to the MS River.

Tell us about your fish astrochick. That is an awesome avatar. Is that one in your tank?

Real Name
    Lindsay

Hi OC,
    I'm from Mississippi originally! And I did undergrad at Ole Miss, so I'm very familiar with Tupelo (the Fedex hub that served my town was there, so I'd occasionally have packages held for pickup). Couldn't agree more about an "SEC region" discus club.

The red turq female in the avatar pic is indeed in a tank here, and she is tending eggs along with her hubby. Along with those I've got several more pairs:
    Stendker Cobalts- eggs but unproven (male can eat'em as fast as she lays'em)
    Stendker Silver Pigeons-unproven
    Stendker Fire Reds-eggs but not proven
    Stendker Brilliant Turks-proven and confirmed wiggler eaters
    Stendker Red Scribbelts-unproven
    Spotted Pigeons- proven and tending 15 day free swimmers, I got these from Tony Peng at Sunrise……maybe best purchase ever
    Ricky Lim lesbian pair of 'gorgeous reds'- husbands are on order, one from Hans and one from Kenny

I also have 6 subadult WC green tefes that are growing up with some Stendker red turks and RSG's from Kenny. I'm hoping for some fun pairs (and I know the purists out there will choke on that).

What about you, OC? What's swimming in Tupelo?

Hey Astrochick. Sounds like you've gone all out to breed and raise fry. Do you have a display tank also? How long have you been into Discus?

I just have one display tank and I've been growing out six young fish. I wanted a rainbow of colors, so I bought from different sources. One snow white about 5". Two Stendekers about 4"- one fire red and one blue pigeon. Three from Tony at Sunrise about 3"- one albino golden yellow, one blue diamond, and one red turq/leopard. I also have a few cardinals and a couple of corys.

I just added a quarantine tank, and I have a half dozen blue rams and another dozen cardinals getting some ready for my main tank. I'm thinking about when my discus start to pair up. Watching Craigslist for a 75 g to go in the spot where my 55 g is located. The qt tank will become a breeding tank and the 55g will become a grow out tank for fry if I ever have them.

Post some pictures of your babies when you have them. Is it your goal to sell discus?

So where in MS are you from? Do you go home for Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    I live in Tupelo, MS. NY, TX and CA have so many sd members, we need a Bible belt group that covers from S Carolina to the MS River.
    Already is one...................

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...us-Enthusiasts
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Lindsay

Larry, thanks for posting that link! I'll try to keep track of when you guys are getting together again; I'm only a couple of hours from the ATL area.

OC:
    I'm not actually trying to breed and sell discus. I just decided to spend money on fish rather than on different tanks. I did wild type bettas, angels, and livebearers for years, so, when I decided to convert to all discus, I bought what I could fit in the tanks that I had already set up. 8 29's fit pairs better than a bunch of young'uns. And 6 55's work for growout and a couple of planted 'pretty' tanks. I'm a medical student and my time is at a premium, and besides, I enjoy watching the way pairs interact. I do have a bunch of fry right now, so I'll either give those away or sell them in a couple of months. I've shipped everything but discus…….I sure don't want to have to do that. I can shrug off some guppies lost in the mail, but discus? No way. I'd be hysterical the whole time they were in transit.

Do you have pictures of your fish on here anywhere? I love the idea of a planted multicolor tank! I'll bet it's beautiful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast