Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USA - Connecticut

Registered Member

Default Re: USA - Connecticut

Stratford, CT

Registered Member

Hello all....Glastonbury,CT

Had Discus for almost a year now with mixed success...I have learned the number one thing about keeping discus is.... it is ALL about the water! Do the changes or else

Anyway love these fish

Best to you all,
    Lilly

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Hello from Waterbury, CT

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Hello everyone,
    Name is Chris and I live in Plymouth CT, which is located in Litchfield County up in the Northwest corner so the state. Just getting started with the discus. Actually still getting my tanks set an in place, but can't wait to get the first group in a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by vader2nd View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Name is Chris and I live in Plymouth CT, which is located in Litchfield County up in the Northwest corner so the state. Just getting started with the discus. Actually still getting my tanks set an in place, but can't wait to get the first group in a month or so.
    I Chris,
    Welcome to the Forum! Nice to see another CT keeper here.

Hey you may be interested in this...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...L-9-2016/page3

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

Uh oh. I have been bitten by the Discus bug. Thankfully I happen to reside right in the middle of the CT Hotbed. Wethersfield, CT. I think a trip to Blackwater Aquaria might be in the works.

Real Name
    Dale

Hi all, I am Dale. I have been an aquarist for over 30 years and have been keeping and breeding discus for over 20 years. For the last few years I have been more concentrated on the saltwater and reef side but recently decided to lean back toward discus. My son recently graduated UConn as a Marine Biologist so he is now the salt and coral guy and I can concentrate on the discus, constant water changes, high water quality, and breeding.

I have been around the site as a reader only for a while and decided that now that its winter I have some time to do some posting also. I live in Salem Ct, I am a retired Navy submariner and now a design engineer for new submarines. I have many other hobbies that keep me busy; especially in the warmer months. I enjoy motorcycles, Corvettes, motocross, ATV racing, soccer and hockey to name a few. I am a die hard Steelers and Pittsburgh Penguin fan(originally from PA).

Here are the current tanks up and running.....
    100 gal discus display
    (2) 55 gal discus divided breeders
    29 gal discus baby/quarantine tank
    20 gal long Ram/Kribensis breeder
    55 gal multi purpose grow out/quarantine
    265 gal saltwater predator tank
    150 gal saltwater FOWLR
    (2) 29 gal bio cube mini reefs
    14 gal anemone clown fish tank
    20 coral frag tank
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yom; 01-06-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Dale and welcome to SD!
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Dale

Thanks!

more pics......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Thanks for sharing all these nice pictures Dale. Welcome, there is no better place to be when it comes to discus info. Living in New England is a plus for discus people too. There are quite a few expert discus people up there. All great people!!!

Thanks again,
    Kraig
    Kraig

Real Name
    Amy

Hello from Manchester! It can't be all that weird to be into Discus and Orchids because those are two of my passions as well. I'm also a hobby Chicken Farmer, Grandmother, Wife and Member of the Windsor Marksman Association.

I'm fairly new to Discus but I've successfully kept alive 5 out of six for the last three years. I have one breeding pair with a Male who has eaten the eggs repeatedly. Not looking to seriously breed so just let them do their thing. I've been an Aquarist for most of my life and have kept both Marine and Fresh water tanks. Currently I have a 65 gallon Discus tank, a 55 gallon Fancy Goldfish tank, an 8 gallon planted nano cube with Tetras and a 20 gallon empty and a 10 gallon hospital tank.
    I just today purchased a bag of Al's. Blackworms and am hoping my Discus will love them. I grew them out on a homemade beefheart mix, flakes, pellets and blood worms. I am wondering if I've developed an allergy to the blood worms though. I've started getting hives every time I get tank water on me. Think it's time to 86 the blood worms. Now that I've shared way too much information.... �� Just want to Thank Al and all members who have shared good info that have helped me in my Discus adventures.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWoman View Post
    Hello from Manchester! It can't be all that weird to be into Discus and Orchids because those are two of my passions as well. I'm also a hobby Chicken Farmer, Grandmother, Wife and Member of the Windsor Marksman Association.

I'm fairly new to Discus but I've successfully kept alive 5 out of six for the last three years. I have one breeding pair with a Male who has eaten the eggs repeatedly. Not looking to seriously breed so just let them do their thing. I've been an Aquarist for most of my life and have kept both Marine and Fresh water tanks. Currently I have a 65 gallon Discus tank, a 55 gallon Fancy Goldfish tank, an 8 gallon planted nano cube with Tetras and a 20 gallon empty and a 10 gallon hospital tank.
    I just today purchased a bag of Al's. Blackworms and am hoping my Discus will love them. I grew them out on a homemade beefheart mix, flakes, pellets and blood worms. I am wondering if I've developed an allergy to the blood worms though. I've started getting hives every time I get tank water on me. Think it's time to 86 the blood worms. Now that I've shared way too much information.... �� Just want to Thank Al and all members who have shared good info that have helped me in my Discus adventures.
    Funny you should say that about the blood worms. I too have a reaction to them and have made it a point to wash my hands thoroughly after handling them. Seems odd about it being the tank water though. How much blood worm did you feed?

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    Funny you should say that about the blood worms. I too have a reaction to them and have made it a point to wash my hands thoroughly after handling them. Seems odd about it being the tank water though. How much blood worm did you feed?
    Only one frozen cube a day. I can't think of what else would cause the allergic reaction. I'll know soon enough if it was the blood worms because yesterday was the last cube and I'm not buying any more. So once all of the water that was contaminated is gone I should see no allergic reaction after water changes. If not it may mean I'm allergic to Discus! ����

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWoman View Post
    Only one frozen cube a day. I can't think of what else would cause the allergic reaction. I'll know soon enough if it was the blood worms because yesterday was the last cube and I'm not buying any more. So once all of the water that was contaminated is gone I should see no allergic reaction after water changes. If not it may mean I'm allergic to Discus! ����
    You could always try using surgical gloves when you need to work with the tank. My reaction is directly related to the blood worms, not the actual tank water. Of course with a 125 gallon, the amount of leavings would be diluted to nothing.

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    You could always try using surgical gloves when you need to work with the tank. My reaction is directly related to the blood worms, not the actual tank water. Of course with a 125 gallon, the amount of leavings would be diluted to nothing.
    Yeah Thanks, I thought of gloves too but after reading some horror stories from people who developed asthma and swollen throats I decided to just stop using blood worms. It's just not worth the risk for me. I'm hoping my Fish like the FDBW.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123