ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: USA - Nebraska

Default USA - Nebraska

Hi all,
    If you want to be found by other hobbyists in your area you can list yourself and contact info here....This section will be state by state for the USA. If you want to start a thread please check to see if its already started ... If you start a Location Thread.. please follow the standard of Country First, then state or province etc.

Thanks,

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Default Re: USA- Nebraska

Omaha, I know there are more than just me! ????

Registered Member

FinnsFan......just south of Omaha here...Plattsmouth : )

Registered Member

Omaha here too. Only three people in Nebraska own discus??
    Khoi

well, you guys are a few generations too late for really fine Discus keeper's..I grew up in Omaha, and got my start in the Midwest Aquarium Society.(circa 1960's)..A German breeder and fancier started a small shop on 50th and Center, which turned in to a crummy chain of stores named 'the Fish Bowl'..But Bernie, who started them from the original location, was himself an excellent early Discus fancier and breeder..I come down there every few months or so if you ever need fish..Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    well, you guys are a few generations too late for really fine Discus keeper's..I grew up in Omaha, and got my start in the Midwest Aquarium Society.(circa 1960's)..A German breeder and fancier started a small shop on 50th and Center, which turned in to a crummy chain of stores named 'the Fish Bowl'..But Bernie, who started them from the original location, was himself an excellent early Discus fancier and breeder..I come down there every few months or so if you ever need fish..Gary
    Well then I say it's time for a new generation! Looks like its just me and two others for now. Hope the other two are experienced cause I'm still new to the hobby. Hehe.
    Nice to meet you Gary, my name is Khoi and I would be interested in some of your angels one of these trips if it wouldn't be too much trouble. No hurry, next time you come to town, shoot me a PM.
    Khoi

Registered Member

Hello Fellow Nebraskans, My name is Al, and I live in Omaha, actually the South Millard, area of Omaha. I've been involved tropical fish almost my entire whole adult life and at least close to 25 years with DISCUS. Just recently getting back in keeping and raising Discus once again. Its like an addiction very hard to break and overcome. Use to belong to SimplyDiscus years ago when the format for discussion was a little more open and at sometimes heated...lol...lol Glad to see that SimplyDiscus is still around to offer help to the Discus Hobbyists and newbies. We need to continue to foster and support such a group of fellow hobbyists who share the same interests and goals. especially when it comes to beautiful breed of fish. Well, that's it for now, so it looks like we do have a few hobbyists here in the Omaha, area, and that makes me very happy hear and know....Ok later hit me up if you would like to chat or meet in person. Till then do take care aqnd good luck with your Discus...Al

Registered Member

Hi Gary, This is Al from Omaha, and yes I fondly remember the Good Ole Fish Bowl Stores quiet well! I just didn't know that Bernie was into Discus at that time when Bernie and June his wife owned the stores. I understood they also owned a couple of stores in the Des Moines, Iowa area as well. I really miss the Fish Bowl, these Supermarket Pet stores we have now just don't cut, just don't carry the variety of aquarium items as the Fish Bowl did. Gary, do you remember South Sea Water Gardens, on 40th and Cuming Streets here in Omaha? The store in later years became a mess, but the guy who owned it always had the best cichlids in town. Actually I got my first 6 wild discus from him. He special ordered the discus from Florida for me. The discus were never unpacked in the store. I just went and paid for them and the air freight and took them home.I had those discus for 6 years and was able to get them to spawn a few times for me. They were wild green forms. I understand there's a new kinda Mom and Pop Aquaruim shop that just opened a little over a year ago and they seem to be doing quite, They are called Nebraska Aquatic Supply and are located at 4014 South 108th St. If you get a chance check them. They have a great Saltwater and reef section and well as a Freshwater section they are still working on! They run a clean store and are very helpful..Well Take...Later, Al from Omaha

Registered Member

Anyone from the Omaha, Nebraska of the United States,that would like to get together and discuss Discus, please free to contact me. Hopefully this will be when the weather here is a little warmer than it is right now. I'd be interested in hearing about your discus and other aspects of your take on the aquarium hobby. Till then do take and stay war....Al from Omaha

Registered Member

Default Re: USA - Nebraska

Hello Fellow Nebraskans!
    I live in Norfolk, started breeding and selling discus around 1990. Was going great guns till around 2006. Quit, sold system of 54 tanks and swore never to set up another aquarium. Never say never, up to 16 tanks inside of 8 months. Water here is just harder than hard, 330 ppm, oh well, nothing big enough to breed now anyway, wife will sell you a couple hundred koi angle fish though, keep up with the water changes, folks! 402-992-3005, Jim Ambroz

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Grew up in Seward, Nebraska. The 'forumulative years', 12-16. Rogued beans, baled hay, detassled corn, slopped hogs, broke wáter for the cattle, got a farm permit at 14 (motor vehicle), and had more fun then most kids do
    ! I've lived a great many places and experienced very different cultures (presently in a mountain pueblo in mexico), but I count Nebraska as the Good Life, because it's where I developed my work ethic! Drove all over the state (and South Dakota too) and got to know a good many people as I delivered microwave sándwiches (a big deal 1982-1986.. LOL) for my uncle's business.

Took my wife across the entire state about four years ago.. on one of our Mexico to New York trips! Funny... Seward, Nebraska, USA has a downtown surrounding a central plaza just like Alamos, Sonora, Mexico where I live now! Owners of the 5 star hotel and pilots club here in Alamos hail from Nebraska. Not too many of us around.

Go Big Red.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member

I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for a local discus breeder. Live in Omaha please Message me.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Derek

I'm a hobbyist in Omaha, checking in.