ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: USA - Texas

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: USA - Texas

Your in luck there are a few of us in the area that raise them.

Good luck.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Hello DFW Area,

I just moved to Grand Prairie a few of months ago from San Diego (Grandkids). I get asked why a lot... So far I like it here, more rain then I expected to see, anyways... I have my tank set up and is ready for fish. I have always wanted to have Discus. Hopefully with this message I can reach out to some breeders in the area selling some of their fish. The ones is see in pet stores are just sort of bland, the picture's on this site really show the vibrant and many colors that are out there. The tank is 55 gallons so I should be able to get maybe a half dozen in there without any issues. I have no plans what so ever to breed them, just to enjoy the beautiful fish when I'm working in the den. Thank you. Russ

I always have some for sale. All bred right here in North Texas. I am in Caddo Mills which is about 35 miles north east of Dallas.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Good afternoon.

My name is Keith and I live in San Marcos, TX. I have actually been a member of Simplydiscus.com for several years but have not been active. I currently have a 165 gallon, non planted, primarily angel fish, tank. My wife says she misses the old 90 gallon bow front which was a planted discus tank. So now I am doing some reading. To be honest I never did get the whole water quality thing down. We have hard water here with a p.h around 8.3. I would love to convert my 165 gallon back to Discus but not use real plants so I don't have to worry about fertilizing, lights, substrate, temp, etc.

If there is anyone or any clubs near San Marcos I would love to know about it and meet up with folks that wouldn't mind doing some show and tell on their set up.

Keith

Good luck with your tank. I don't really know of too many discus folks down in your area.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Thanks John

Considering I am smack between Austin and San Antonio I was hoping I would have better luck.

Keith

Registered Member

Anyone in the Houston or Katy area?

I recently bought a house and I'm looking at buying my first decent sized tank (~75g) and setting it up as a BB discus tank with an MBF. Everyone in the house is onboard.

I remember meeting a successful discus guy many years ago while buying something random off Craigslist and I was surprised to learn some things from him:

- he used basic tap water without any adjustments other than dechlorinator and his tap water ph was over 7.0
    - he had an impressive (to me at the time) semi-automated water change system involving a large aging barrel connected to home plumbing system

He never had to carry a bucket! I decided in that moment that if I ever got back into aquariums I'd have discus and an easy wc system like that!

Registered Member

I'm in Houston using water straight from the tap, and prime. Aging your water would be best, especially if you are doing large water changes. I've had good results with 30% or a little more (however much it takes for me to siphon out the fish waste), every couple of days, in an understocked 75 gallon with sump. I'll likely start aging water in the future, as I'd probably get better growth from my fish with larger, more frequent water changes. My fish's size are pretty on par compared to the published Stendker growth rate, so I'm not too concerned at the moment. This is my first time having a large tank or discus, or seriously keeping fish at all, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Just make sure your tank is completely cycled before getting the fish.... I may have had problems with that in the beginning.
    Last edited by Rapture; 07-29-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I reside in San Antonio, water also very hard. I have an 125G and 40G breeder tank running now. Use a mixture of 70% straight from the tap w/ safe and 30% RODI water, doing 50% WC daily (after feeding my beefheart mix). Been doing this well over two years with great success with my discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

do we have any club events and such for north Texas community? i love a chance to join and participate.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    LaFaun Hoggard

Default Re: USA- Texas

Hi Tony, I'm LaFaun in North San Antonio. I have a discus tank set up and am looking for fish. Do you have any suggestions?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    LaFaun Hoggard

Hi Farebox, this is LaFaun in San Antonio. What is the hardness after the mix? Do you have any discus for sale?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Currently, I'm doing 50% weekly water change straight from the tap with Seachem Safe added. No fish for sale. Check my latest video: https://youtu.be/29J-z8Vopq4

Real Name
    Fritz

Hello fellow San Antonioians. I live in Marion. Love to compare notes sometime.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Registered Member

Default Re: USA - Texas - DFW Metroplex breeders / seller?

Hello All!

Just wondering if anyone has some leads on sellers/breeders in the Dallas, Fort Worth area. My LFS has had a tough time getting them and all of the message/emails I've sent have not responded. Perhaps its just tough to get stuff stock in general, but thought I would try!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast