ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: USA - Texas

Default Re: USA- Texas

Dan has sold his store but you may catch him there once in a while. I think he his going back home (Philipines) to be an exporter
    George

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Thanks George

-john

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discusgeo2 View Post
    Dan has sold his store but you may catch him there once in a while. I think he his going back home (Philipines) to be an exporter
    Thanks for the clarifying that. I remember he said he was going back and forth to Philippines, and was planning to move back. I met him in person back in May 2008, we talked for like 5 hours, very nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by gwrace View Post
    Hi All

My name is David and I live in Round Rock, TX just north of Austin. I'm currently looking to purchase 5-6 small discus in various color varieties for a show tank. If you know of a quality breeder or supplier close to my area I'd appreciate a PM or follow-up post.

I did locate a retail store in Austin called River City Aquatics that sell Stendker Discus. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this store?

Thanks!

David
    Austin, TX also here. May also try Aquatek off Burnet. They carry discus there as well. I go there because it is more conveniently located for me. I'm not affiliated w/ them in any way. I also thought that their fish looked better and healthier.

Good luck with your purchase. I'm pretty new to discus. Have you much experience with them ? Maybe we can meet up sometime locally and trade stories ... ?

http://www.aquatektropical.com/

On the way from the deer lease I stopped there just to look around. They had a few discus but nothing that was better then C grade at best. Maybe it was just a bad day but I would suggest biting the bullet and just shipping in some discus from one of the sponsers.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    On the way from the deer lease I stopped there just to look around. They had a few discus but nothing that was better then C grade at best. Maybe it was just a bad day but I would suggest biting the bullet and just shipping in some discus from one of the sponsers.

-john
    John-

Where did you stop in at ?

Reason I ask is because, being a newb, I'm curious about which store's discus you are rating as C grade ...

I was at both RiverCity and Aqatek last weekend and it'd be good to have a frame of reference from an expert's point of view as to what a C grade might look like.

The one in Burnet.

-john

Thanks, John.

The other store's fish looked worse (to my very untrained eye).

Well it happened today. Snow in Central Texas at the Capital City and northern suburbs. I can count on one hand the number of times this has occurred in the 29 years I've lived here.

http://galleries.statesman.com/galle...TR_95609#62379

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post

-john
    That's just what I did. Picked up 6 juvies from Hans....Very nice fish and great service.

Glad it worked out. Hard to go wrong when dealing with Hans.

-john

Registered Member

Hi,

I am Puru, i have been in the hobby for several years. Including planted and cichlids. I am planning to get my first discus soon, any local breeders in Dallas let me know.

Thanks,

Puru

There are several of us. Most of us are members of the Texas Cichlid Assn. so club meetings can be a good place to meet us. We arew also members/offices of NADA which is having a huge blowout show/workshop/auction this summer in Dallas. HOpe to see you there.

-john

Registered Member wesleydnunder's Avatar

Howdy folks! I'm Mark and live down by the coast in LaMarque, Tx. One of the saddest days in my life was when Dan sold out and moved back home. I visited his store , Houston Aquarium Warehouse frequently. I currently keep wild RSGs which came from him before he moved. I've been keeping discus since 1989 and will always keep these wonderful fish. I've recently taken on a side job as a contract electrical inspector for a local city and I'm planning on a 300 gal or so discus tank...all wild RSGs if I can find a reliable local supplier.
    What are the facts? Again and again and again, what are the facts? ...and to how many decimal places? We navigate always into an unknown future. Facts are our only clue. Robert A. Heinlein

Other than the local LFS suppliers does anyone know of hobbyist breeders in the Austin-Round Rock, TX area. I'm looking to stock up a newly cycled 75 gallon tank with 6 or so small discus.

Thanks!

david

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast