AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: USA - Texas

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for Discus Hobbyist in the San Antonio, TX. Area?

Bring her to the show and she will change her mind....LOL.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Default Re: USA - Texas

Hi all, Misa here from San Antonio. New to the forum. I recently renewed my interest in the hobby. Don't have any fish or equipment yet. Doing a lot of research. Used to keep fish years ago in a 29 gal tank. So some experience. But from what I'm gathering now, I know there's a lot I didn't know. What I do know is that I'm falling in fishlove for Discus... LOL I'm sure I'll stop by for all my Discus questions. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Just posted to your other thread. Once again Welcome. Always nice to see the discus hobby growing in Texas.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Hello, I live in San Antonio and very much into discus. I can give you advise from what I've learned in the last few years since starting keeping discus fish. I currently have three tanks, 125, 55, and 40 breeder. Right now the 55G tank set up for sale with two starter discus. You will need to provide filter for the tank. Well welcome to SD.
    -Roland

Registered Member

Hello again, thanks for the welcoming John and Roland! Really excited about getting into the hobby again. And loving all the info on Discus in the forum. My goal was to have a custom tank between 90 - 120g and keep anywhere from 9-12 Discus respectively. A 55 might be a good place to start though. Where are you selling from Roland?
    -misa
    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I live in San Antonio 78250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Hello, Vickie here. I live about an hour SE of Dallas. I've been trying to keep discus for some time and lost many. But the addiction is still with me. I have two blues about 3-4 inches right now that survived in a Rubbermaid tub while their aquarium leak was repaired. I figured they wouldn't make it and I was destined to accept angelfish as an easier alternative. My tank is a 55 gallon. I have never been to a show and hoped to go to the one in Austin. Is there a fee just to enter and see the fish on display? If I hoped to buy 3 inch fish must I bring my own ice chest and bags etc. for the 4 hour drive back? Or is it wiser just to order them and pay airfreight? I am retiring from teaching, and figure I might be better able to keep up with the water changes. I've noticed one post from a man in Arlington. I'd love to hear from others nearby. Any ladies out there who want to share a room? what with the gas and $109 a night fee, I'd never be able to buy fish.

Quote Originally Posted by vickie52 View Post
    Hello, Vickie here. I live about an hour SE of Dallas. I've been trying to keep discus for some time and lost many. But the addiction is still with me. I have two blues about 3-4 inches right now that survived in a Rubbermaid tub while their aquarium leak was repaired. I figured they wouldn't make it and I was destined to accept angelfish as an easier alternative. My tank is a 55 gallon. I have never been to a show and hoped to go to the one in Austin. Is there a fee just to enter and see the fish on display? If I hoped to buy 3 inch fish must I bring my own ice chest and bags etc. for the 4 hour drive back? Or is it wiser just to order them and pay airfreight? I am retiring from teaching, and figure I might be better able to keep up with the water changes. I've noticed one post from a man in Arlington. I'd love to hear from others nearby. Any ladies out there who want to share a room? what with the gas and $109 a night fee, I'd never be able to buy fish.
    Hello and welcome!

The show is worth every penny!

I travel with fish in 5 gallon food safe buckets all the time between dallas and San Marcos (just south of Austin) but most of the suppliers will have bags for your fish also probably - just ask.

Lots of the Dallas/Arlington crew will be at the show. We occasionally have get togethers up there also -

There is no charge to visit the showroom and the vendors but to hear the awesome speakers who will change your thinking on Discus Keeping flown in from around the world you need to pay the registration fee of 50.00 - this is a bargain.

Post on one of the Show countdowns and see if you can find a roommate that way... Maybe? Hopefully I get to meet you soon!

Nicole Wehrman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

I am in Caddo Mills, we own some land in Van Zandt county, and my middle daughter is going to school in Tyler so we are all over east Texas. Where are you from?

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

I live in a small town called Kemp. It is one of the many towns surrounding Cedar Creek Lake. About an hour and a half from Tyler. Half an hour from Athens or 45 min. from Canton.

Anyone in CO? im not finding anything in search can we start a CO thread or how do i find the nearest hobbyists to me in colorado? cheers ! it may be that Tx is nearest active place in which case ill brush off my best drawl and i do have cowgirl boots and my own horse
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by vickie52 View Post
    I live in a small town called Kemp. It is one of the many towns surrounding Cedar Creek Lake. About an hour and a half from Tyler. Half an hour from Athens or 45 min. from Canton.
    I know exactly where you are at....When I was younger I caught many a cow in that area.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Do discus folks in the DFW area get together on occasion? I don't think I can manage the Austin show. I want to learn more about the fish, but have limited funds to spend. With only a 55 gal. tank and 2 discus, I need advice how to proceed. The only place I've found that sells them locally is in Garland. I figure I may go there and buy 2 or 3 more the same size and just try the get used to the water changes. My tank has a back filter and two air stones for air bubbles. I read somewhere that the tiny bubbles were bad for the fish. Guess no one told my two guys. I keep seeing photos of some type of sponge filters setting on the bottom of the tank. I don't see how these two have made it so long when I know so little. I try to check the PH and it reads very high around 8 or 9. Bright orange anyway. All the advice is that discus need to be in groups of 5 or 6. I hate to spend and add more only to have problems. Needless to say I don't have a tank to quarantine them in. I used to have large rocks and thick gravel and as my fish developed diseases, I read about bare bottom tanks for cleanliness. But that look seemed too bare for me. So now I have just a bare thin covering of gravel and two small rocks. I would be thrilled to keep 4 or 5 healthy but if it means daily water changes or larger tanks etc. it may not be possible for me. Even finding this thread again isn't easy! But I will check to see if you offer advice. Thanks from a definite "wanna be."

Welcome .... if you come to Garland for Discus, stop my place to see if you like something if they're same size with yours. I'm in N.Garland, very close to the LFS you're going to ...
    Ryan

Registered Member

I would enjoy seeing your fish. I am retired now and plan an outing sometime for the fun of seeing tanks of discus. The place I read about is Dallas Discus. They ask you to make an appt. If you can tell me where you are and when a good time would be, I will love to see two places. Be prepared for questions. Thanks for the response.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast