AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: USA - Virginia

Registered Member mountain_priest's Avatar

Default Re: USA- Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Singin4Cnu View Post
    I live in Newport News VA, about 45 mins from VA beach. Currently have a 75 with 7 discus, working on a second tank for a shot at some wilds. I keep many types of fish and also keep a few reptiles (4' Tegu, 5' Ball Python).
    its great to know that theres a simply friend close by. i have 2 heckels in the group(2 cobalt blues, 2 pigeon blues and 2 snakeskins) and they are the dominant resident even tho they're the latest addition

I'm a newbie living in Midlothian, VA. In fact, I don't have any fish yet! I'm still learning and reading and trying to visit some others to check out their setup. I just stumbled on this section of Simply that lists some of the discus folks from VA! I hope to visit some of you soon!

Planning a nice setup will be important for us! Architect wife will demand that it "looks good". I don't mind putting in the the time and money but I want to make everything as easy as possible. I travel from time to time and I have learned (with orchids) that I shouldn't depend heavily on family and friends to tend the chores in my absence!

Water changes, feeding regimen and water chemistry intimidate me the most. I want to ensure I can dedicate adequate resources to the hobby before I can commit! I may have to lay off a couple of hobbys before I can take on this one!!! Maybe some of you know what I mean!

Thanks to all for your help so far. This is a great and helpful group. I have yet to PM or email anyone and not have them respond enthusiastically!

Garland in Midlothian, VA

Registered Member

new guy in richmond! have kept aquaria on and off for awhile. did salt for about 4 years. then tried planted. now giving discus a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperhead View Post
    I'm a newbie living in Midlothian, VA. In fact, I don't have any fish yet! I'm still learning and reading and trying to visit some others to check out their setup. I just stumbled on this section of Simply that lists some of the discus folks from VA! I hope to visit some of you soon!

Planning a nice setup will be important for us! Architect wife will demand that it "looks good". I don't mind putting in the the time and money but I want to make everything as easy as possible. I travel from time to time and I have learned (with orchids) that I shouldn't depend heavily on family and friends to tend the chores in my absence!

Water changes, feeding regimen and water chemistry intimidate me the most. I want to ensure I can dedicate adequate resources to the hobby before I can commit! I may have to lay off a couple of hobbys before I can take on this one!!! Maybe some of you know what I mean!

Thanks to all for your help so far. This is a great and helpful group. I have yet to PM or email anyone and not have them respond enthusiastically!

Garland in Midlothian, VA
    If you plan on coming to northern VA, send me a pm if you want to visit.

Registered Member

Hi all, newbie starting discus for the first time. Don't actually live in VA, but the closest city to me is Danville, Va ( 10mins away ). So I am posting in both VA and NC. Cruising the forums and sponsors now looking for discus! Any suggestions or any comments would be welcome!

John

Registered Member

I live near Manassas in northern VA. If you're interested in selling juvies locally feel free to PM me; I am intending to get 2-3 in the nearish future.

I'm a new member. I have a planted 75G with 6 discus and a few other fish. I live in Chesapeake and work in Newport News for now... Good to know there are people around who keep discus as well.

Richmond here and I'm late to the party as always, I've been keeping fish as long as I can remember. Irene killed the power for 9 days and I lost all of my marine tanks and I went back to FW because its the last time I can remember enjoying the hobby. I picked up a mated pair of adult red turquoise a few days ago and I hate to admit it but I'm hooked!

Ill be rehoming the last 2 fish in my 180 and devoting it to discus within the next week, I just need to get rid of a 2' clown knife and a fat oscar

Hi, I'm Jim. While I live near the MD/DE/PA border (the wedge) Im a member of GWAPA and travel throughout morthern VA monthly. Had discus on and off for about 10 years starting back in the early Marc Weiss years (early '90's?) currently keep a heavily planted 110 and a couple of 30's.

Cheers.
    Jim
    www.gwapa.org
    www.aquaticplantcentral.com

Welcome, Jim! You'll have to stop by on one of your trips through NOVA LOL.!

Registered Member

John here from Fairfax, VA. Originally from NYC. New to the site and new to discus. But not new to fish keeping. Since I was 7 long, long ago I've kept just about everything at one time or another except Africans and discus. Currently, I'm running a 150gal reef, a 10gal tropical community (always loved neons and corys!) and a 90gal backyard pond, Recently, I decided to remedy the situation of never having kept discus before!

I prepared a 37gal as my starter tank and found Truc from Manassas on CL raising some that I've put in. They have acclimated nicely and so far, so good! I will be adding a 75 or 90 for them as their main display tank in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by jffoley View Post
    John here from Fairfax, VA. Originally from NYC. New to the site and new to discus. But not new to fish keeping. Since I was 7 long, long ago I've kept just about everything at one time or another except Africans and discus. Currently, I'm running a 150gal reef, a 10gal tropical community (always loved neons and corys!) and a 90gal backyard pond, Recently, I decided to remedy the situation of never having kept discus before!

I prepared a 37gal as my starter tank and found Truc from Manassas on CL raising some that I've put in. They have acclimated nicely and so far, so good! I will be adding a 75 or 90 for them as their main display tank in the near future.
    Welcome to VA jffoley
    Good luck with your disucs...

Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Registered Member

hi I'm Caleb from Norfolk VA I have a 55 salt tank and am on here to gather as much discus info as I an so i can start a tank

Registered Member

Bill in Richmond, Va. here.. Currently I'm keeping 6 Scorpions that I've had for almost a year. They were spawned Feb 11 of 2011 I think.. I picked them up at about 2 months. I also have a Pigeon Blood a bit older!. Looking to meet other local Discus keepers and possibly pick up a dozen fry!.. Bill

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

I'm a former Discus keeper but who knows, I'm lurking here :-) I'm in Manassas, VA.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast